Repairing mower blades

/ Repairing mower blades #1  

shanehobson

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000 (x2), Kubota F1900, Kubota B2150HST, IH434, Same Minitauro 60, Zetor 6745 (x2)
I have recently bought an old, abused triple bladed slasher mower (what you might call a bush hog).

The blades are well worn and don't crossover and so leave two narrow strips of uncut grass.
I guess they have worn so much they've lost a half inch or so off end end of each of the three blades.

My question is, what do you think of the idea of welding pieces of old hacksaw blade onto the end of each mower blade ?
I've got access to plasma cutter, mig & arc gear.

This seems far more economical than replacing the mower blades.

/ Repairing mower blades
I probably should have mentioned the blades are about 90cm long (35 inches) from tip to tip.
They probably need to be about 94cm to get rid of the grass strip.

/ Repairing mower blades #3  

Buy new blades and they will last for years

Weld pieces on the end , and they will last hours

/ Repairing mower blades #4  
Any type of serious wear or modification will tend to show up in the form of gear box wear, I agree with a new set of blades AND bolts along with a complete gear box service. For old brush hogs the best way to service them is to run em for a while with a welding magnet stuck to the drain plug to collect filings, drain the fluid, flush it with a little fluid and refill em, run a little more and test bleed the drain to see if it comes out clean, if not you may need to change it again finally you should fill it to recommended level and check every time before use.

/ Repairing mower blades #5  
Any type of serious wear or modification will tend to show up in the form of gear box wear, I agree with a new set of blades AND bolts along with a complete gear box service. For old brush hogs the best way to service them is to run em for a while with a welding magnet stuck to the drain plug to collect filings, drain the fluid, flush it with a little fluid and refill em, run a little more and test bleed the drain to see if it comes out clean, if not you may need to change it again finally you should fill it to recommended level and check every time before use.

How many rotary cutter gearboxes have you actually seen that have drain plugs?

/ Repairing mower blades #6  

Until the weld or blade fails, sending shrapnel through one of yout tractor tires, or a neighbor's (add personal property description here).

Having access to welding equipment doesn't provide the knowledge necessary to know what welding projects are simply bad ideas. Adding pieces to rotary cutter blades is a bad idea.