Shock and awe (at home!)

/ Shock and awe (at home!) #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've just got my first tractor (about 3 weeks ago). Used. So naturally something will need to be fixed. Bingo - the power steering cylinder leaks. Talked to a buddy who encouraged me to buy a seal kit and fix it.

No problem. Go to my load F/NH dealer and order a kit - $80. Wow, I think, but looking at the picture he shows me, I can accept the price. He orders it, it comes in, I go pick it up.

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I get handed a little package of seals/rings. Don't ask me why, but I was flabbergasted. I guess it's being new to this - I didn't realize when looking at the exploded cylinder picture what I was really seeing. But I felt the shock and awe!

Which leads me to my question (after I rant about how dumb I was). Is there a good place on the web where I can find replacement parts for a Ford 2120 at a substantial discount over the local F/NH dealer?

Who cares about shipping at $80 for $1 worth of plastic!

Thanks.
GregM

/ Shock and awe (at home!) #2  
If you are going to try to maintain a tractor you have to become very creative. Tractors are like boats, the same part for a car or generic use will be 50-90% cheaper than for a tractor or boat. For bearings and seals, try to cross reference at a bearing distributor or auto parts store. Alternators, regulators, starters, brakes, radiators, clutches are all reparable or rebuildable or can be purchased generically. Air, fuel, and oil filters, belts, probably hoses, auto parts store. I keep notes on all the rebuilders I hear about on these forums, although I have never needed any yet.

/ Shock and awe (at home!) #3  
In a town near me, there is a Crown Products company. I take my cylinders apart & remove parts. Carry it all with me & can normally get complete repair parts for around 10.00.

Next time you need similar, try to find a hydraulics company in your area and see if you can do similar.

Good luck,

/ Shock and awe (at home!) #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Next time you need similar, try to find a hydraulics company in your area. )</font>

I took a cylinder off a FEL and took it to a local hydraulics company. They did all the work and installed a new kit. I dropped it off in the morning and picked it up after work. Total Cost $40 - and that was Cdn. Tractor shop estimate $100 to $150 for the same job and they would probably send it out to the hydraulic shop becuase the hydraulic shop owner told me he gets lots of work from tractor dealers.

Worth doing a little shopping!

Bob

/ Shock and awe (at home!) #5  
Try checking with Westminster Auto Parts first (next time). (They are on Tuc Road in Westminster)

With the old seals, bearings or whatever, they can either cross it to an in stock part or order it. I have been able to get parts for my old Case at a fraction of the cost Case wants.