engine rebuilding in phiadelphia

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia #1  

branstor

Tractor
cub cadet 1000
I bought a cub 1000, I think it is a 74. It is in wonderful shape except for a blown engine. The connecting rod was in pieces when I opened up the engine. Other than that it looks like the tractor was kept in a garage all of its life. It for sure doesnt look like it is 6 years older than I am in. I even has less rust than my mother's 4 year old john deere 130 (junk!!!)

Anyway to my question... I took it took it to a local machine shop who quoted me $300 to bore it out clean it, bead it, and do a valve job. This isnt even including the crank! I think they are ripping me off, but want to be sure.

I live north of phiadelphia, pa in bucks county. If anyone knows of a quality shop in the area, that I can trust, please let me know

Brandon

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia #2  
The higher costs of rebuilding vs a new engine or rebuilt has come into play when people are in your position. Has to do with the cost of 1 or 100!

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia
yes I understand the economy of scale. but I have read in many places that people are being charged in the $50-$75 dollar range for the cylinder bore and about $35 to $50 for the valve job, $10 to polish the crank jurnal, $35 to $50 for the crank to be ground .010 under if necessary.

I have the engine completely torn down. I could understand $300 if they had to disassemble but I literally gave them the block only.

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia #4  
I think $300 sounds about right. Ask them how much if you pay cash.

Chris

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia #5  
Keep in mind, all part of what you are paying for is all the specialized equipment they have in the shop, along with the rent, electricity and all the other overhead. The machinist might get $20-30 an hour if he is lucky, but they are in business to make a living, not support our projects...

You may want to check out a rebuilt engine? I don't know what engine it has, but there could be options around. I did that for my Onan P218G/ The long block cost what the parts probably would have cost for me to do it...

Good luck

Wayne

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia #6  
You might ask them how much more to put the crank and piston in and make it a short block. Price sounds in line considering the valve work involved. I usually farm out block and crank work and do the rest my self.

Dan

/ engine rebuilding in phiadelphia #7  
You can do a lot of that yourself but if you don't then your paying for the skill of the mechanic, tools etc. If you think that's sticker shock price a new motor:(