NH TL90a PTO rattling problem

/ NH TL90a PTO rattling problem #1  

snowcrash

Tractor
nh tl90a, ford 5000, mf 231, ford 2000 & 4000 and some others
My problem is it sounds like the pto has a bearing that is going bad and wondering if it is that and what would it take to fix it without putting it in the shop.

I'm going to say that I'm probably at blame for my problem but I don't know. I was having to drill some holes for some posts on hill that was nothing but hard rock/pit gravel and my 12" auger is dulled down. Either way, the tractor was backed up the hill with the nose going downhill. It took a while to get the holes drilled though because I would try the big bit and go as far as it would go with some help of a pipe and myself and friend sitting on it while my sister ran the tractor. Anyways, I'd switch to a smaller bit and get the hole drilled and then switch bits to try and get it go down easier.

Well, needless to say, the pto started to make almost like a grinding noise and then it finally clicked that the oil was going downhill and running the pto as long as we did on those 2 holes we were trying to might have caused a bearing or something to go bad??

It never came to my mind before doing it or while doing it that that could happen if possible but wanted to get your ideas on my problem. I know when we bought the tractor 4 years ago or so, the guy said that some tractors came from the factory and when running the pto, you might here a grinding noise in there and it would have to be brought in for an adjustment.

I don't know if maybe whatever he was talking about has happened or there is a bearing going out, but it sounds like it is near the shaft where the noise could be coming from?

What do you guys thing, could it be a bearing or is something out of adjustment. I just hope it's not an expensive fix?? If is a bearing, how would I go about fixing it, is it something I can do myself? There are just not much info out there so I'm hoping somebody on here might could shed some light on my problem.

Thanks for your help,
Charlie

/ NH TL90a PTO rattling problem #2  
My problem is it sounds like the pto has a bearing that is going bad and wondering if it is that and what would it take to fix it without putting it in the shop.

I'm going to say that I'm probably at blame for my problem but I don't know. I was having to drill some holes for some posts on hill that was nothing but hard rock/pit gravel and my 12" auger is dulled down. Either way, the tractor was backed up the hill with the nose going downhill. It took a while to get the holes drilled though because I would try the big bit and go as far as it would go with some help of a pipe and myself and friend sitting on it while my sister ran the tractor. Anyways, I'd switch to a smaller bit and get the hole drilled and then switch bits to try and get it go down easier.

Well, needless to say, the pto started to make almost like a grinding noise and then it finally clicked that the oil was going downhill and running the pto as long as we did on those 2 holes we were trying to might have caused a bearing or something to go bad??

It never came to my mind before doing it or while doing it that that could happen if possible but wanted to get your ideas on my problem. I know when we bought the tractor 4 years ago or so, the guy said that some tractors came from the factory and when running the pto, you might here a grinding noise in there and it would have to be brought in for an adjustment.

I don't know if maybe whatever he was talking about has happened or there is a bearing going out, but it sounds like it is near the shaft where the noise could be coming from?

What do you guys thing, could it be a bearing or is something out of adjustment. I just hope it's not an expensive fix?? If is a bearing, how would I go about fixing it, is it something I can do myself? There are just not much info out there so I'm hoping somebody on here might could shed some light on my problem.

Thanks for your help,
Charlie

I'm not familiar with your tractor but here's what I'd do. Go into the NH website and look up the parts list for the pto. That will tell you what you have there parts wise. You've got a big sump so I doubt that the pto went dry unless it's not part of the main hydraulic sump. thwe other thing you might ddo is ask this question in the NH "Owning and Operating " forum below. Guys like RickB and Jbrink64 are really knowledgable and might be able to help you out since they are NH techs.

/ NH TL90a PTO rattling problem
Thanks for the information, I'll give that a try. I actually did go and pull up the diagrams for the tractor and it seems as if there could be four different models that mine could be, since they all have some differences but the bearings are mostly the same. Just wish I knew how to find out for sure which one I had so I could go off that.

I would not think it would go dry either but it was little low on fluid I found out but it was still in the sticks range on flat ground. It's just a noticable rattle though and when it originally made the first loud noise, you knew something was wrong. I did notice in one of the diagrams, one of the bearings was a ball bearing and it was replaced with a sealed bearing so maybe they had problems with them or something?

I'll ask this in the other forum though and maybe get some better look