sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me??

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #1  
Tractor
Terramite t5c
I inherited an old Terramite hydrostatic front/backhoe tractor about 5 years ago... It never really held a charge so im sure the magneto is shot and I am used to jumping her every start... this spring, i jumped her as usual and she ran well for an hour.. the following day when i jumped her, the wiring caught fire... I replaced the starter, solenoid and voltage meter... she ran for an hour but then the wires burned again... I took a picture of the rickshaw wiring and a drawing of the way it is currently wired... if anyone could point out my flaws i would be much obliged...
photo-1.jpg
[/IMG]
photo.jpg
[/IMG]

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #2  
I find no fault with the wiring. If it burned while running, I would believe it is over charging. You can take the generator in for testing. If the generator isn't over charging that would point to the regulator.
I had that problem years ago, it turned out to be the generator.

You might mention which wire burned.

Good luck, hope you find the trouble in short order.

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #3  
Just looked at your picture. Seems you have a wire from the key switch going to the large post on the solinoid. That doesn't look correct to me. Is that the wire that burned?

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #4  
I don't see a ballast resistor inline with the coil. Some coils don't need it but...

[edit] I also agree with valley your start wire is going to the wrong post. It should be going to the solinoid start post (small). I assume that the magneto is what you're referring to for charging the battery and that wire should be going to the + side of the battery. I've attached a possible correction to your wiring.

Attachments

• Wiring.bmp
    63.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
   / sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #5  
I see a solinoid but can't make out a regulator. You said you installed a new reg?

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #6  
Looks like the red wire from the starter side of the solenoid is toasted... Maybe I've had too much caffeine today..., but shouldn't that wire be on the other post of the solenoid, to provide voltage to the ign. switch..??

The only time that wire would/should be energized, is when starting. That's a lot of amps to be pushing through what appears to be 12 ga. wire.

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #7  
I think it[red wire from the key switch] should be going to the small post. The blue wire is going to the gauge the red wire should go to the small post to excite the solinoid. Yes?

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #8  
He is bypassing the solinoid by jump starting, I think. With the wire going to the +post, the solinoid wouldn't work. A small wire from the battery to the starter key switch and a small wire in start mode to the solinoid SMALL post to power the starter. Yes??????

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #9  
Just read RPW's post. That's right! Now, he can rewire and get back to us.

/ sick of burning wires.... can anyone help me?? #10  
You don't have a voltage regulator! That Delco rectifier will work,but it is charging all the time.Go on Ebay,and buy a used Kohler regulator,if that is what that motor is.