Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #1  

stevewatr

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 2WD geared
I just picked up a 1920 at a state auction. It has 2 issues, first, it will not start when the key is turned, but with the key on, I can jump the solenoid coil to the positive battery cable and it fires right up. Turning the key off, shuts the tractor off okay. I'm thinking it is a safety switch issue?? I made the following observations:

when I turn the key to the on position, 2 warning lights on the dash light up.

when I turn the key to the starter cranking position, 3 more lights come on, but no clicks, or noise from the starter.

I also noticed the key can be turned back from the off position, is this to preheat glow plugs maybe??

Issue number 2, the scarier one. With the tractor running, I cannot get it to move at all. Here are some other observations:

The sellers at auction wrote notes on the tractors, this one had "transmission and flywheel obsolete" written on it. Notes in the auction catalog suggested it needs tranny work.

When I push down the clutch, and move the shifter to the left of the steering column, nothing happens, but one position does give a slight breif noise.

Releasing the clutch has no effect.

The PTO does engage, and pressing the clutch pedal does stop the PTO

I have an IT manual on order as we speak, but would love to here preliminary thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve W.

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #2  
Issue 1 sounds like a bad solenoid. Easy fix.........replace solenoid. (check for power in start wire to solenoid first though).

Issue 2. Sounds like you are screwed. Obsolete means.........no new parts available.

Your only recourse is junkyard parts.

Tractor will need to be seperated, and everything checked to see what is wrong with it.

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #3  
You first issue sonds like a safety switch.There are several,clutch,neutral and pto. It should be easy to bypass these to find the bad one. Turning the switch to the left preheats the glow plugs.
Problem 2 could be several things. Your tractor has a 2 stage(dual) clutch. I disc controls tractor movement(trans) and the other is just for the pto. If you push the clutch pedal 1/2 way down it disengages the disc for the trans. When you push it all the way it releases the pto disc. So you could still have a bad clutch even tho the pto works properly. You could also have shifter linkage issues. I just looked on Messics and it apears all the trans gears are still available if that is the issue New Holland Parts Lookup Online Catalog . These are great dependable tractors and are worth putting some money into. Look on ebay for a service manual. It will make your life much easier.
Bill

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #4  
I agree with the neutral safety switch most likely being a problem with your starting issue. On my 1920 with the shuttle shift it was the shuttle NSS that went bad. It isn't a big issue to replace them.

Your second issue sounds like a nightmare. I would definitely contact a New Holland mechanic and get his advice and start trying to locate the parts you may need before splitting the tractor. It may be a smarter choice to get rid of it if its going to be a huge hassle.

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #5  
The 1920 is fully supported by NH still, however parts are not cheap. There is little in the way of aftermarket support for this tractor. The aftermarket companies seem to focus on larger or older tractors. It sounds like you do have a clutch problem. Sometimes the "obsolete" for the state means that they just wanted a new tractor and found an excuse when it broke. The transmission problem is worrisome hopefully you just need a new clutch. The sellers listing of the flywheel being obsolete possibly suggests that it might also have been damaged. Parts are not cheap so I wish you luck. Please post back with what you find.

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #7  
1920 has a shuttle NSS and PTO NSS. The shuttle NSS is a common replacement item.

I would put little to no faith in a message written on a tractor at a gov't surplus auction. Anything can and has been done to get equipment placed on a surplus list and sold. Do your own investigating, or pay someone reputable to do it for you.

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2 #8  
if it's the straight gear model, have you checked the range selector?

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2
Issue 1 sounds like a bad solenoid. Easy fix.........replace solenoid. (check for power in start wire to solenoid first though).

Issue 2. Sounds like you are screwed. Obsolete means.........no new parts available.

Your only recourse is junkyard parts.

Tractor will need to be seperated, and everything checked to see what is wrong with it.

It's not the solenoid, shorting the battery connection on the starter to the coil terminal energizes the solenoid, and starts her just fine. I was already thinking safety switch, and see the other replies feel the same way.

As for being screwed, I'm not ready to throw this baby out with the bathwater yet, but thanks for your thoughts.

Steve W.

/ Ford 1920 Issue number 1 of 2
You first issue sonds like a safety switch.There are several,clutch,neutral and pto. It should be easy to bypass these to find the bad one. Turning the switch to the left preheats the glow plugs.
Problem 2 could be several things. Your tractor has a 2 stage(dual) clutch. I disc controls tractor movement(trans) and the other is just for the pto. If you push the clutch pedal 1/2 way down it disengages the disc for the trans. When you push it all the way it releases the pto disc. So you could still have a bad clutch even tho the pto works properly. You could also have shifter linkage issues. I just looked on Messics and it apears all the trans gears are still available if that is the issue New Holland Parts Lookup Online Catalog . These are great dependable tractors and are worth putting some money into. Look on ebay for a service manual. It will make your life much easier.
Bill

Hello Bill,
I ordered the IT manual because it was much cheaper, but since it has a lot less pages, I figured it was not as in depth, but would get me started. I was PM'd on this, and am going to get a manual in PDF format from a nice guy.

Thanks for that link to the parts lookup.

I read a thread about splitting the tractor, and how many differant places/prices they found for the 2 stage clutch. This sounds like it will be interesting. Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Steve W.