4000 Ford Starter

/ 4000 Ford Starter #1  

eamay

I have a friend that needs my help on removing starter on a 4000 Ford. I am I correct that there is a bolt behind starter holding it on, besides the two on the outside. I am told it takes a 9/16 thin walled socket with extension to extract it.
Can someone advise me on this?
Thanks,EAMay

/ 4000 Ford Starter #2  
there are 2 4000 series. a 3 cyl, and a 4 cyl... always good to ID which you are working on when asking for help.

however, both are 3 bolt.

the 4 cyl are way easier to get to the back bolt.

on the 3 cyl, , especially a diesel with a dual head fuel filter, a couple extensions and perhaps a swivel will greatly help taking it off.

I dind't use a thinwall socket removing my 3cyl starter.. I did say a few choice words a few times..

soundguy

/ 4000 Ford Starter
Thanks for the info. Will try to refrain from verbal outburst while removing the starter. eamay

/ 4000 Ford Starter #4  
it helps.. especially when the fastner breaks loose and you leave hand or knuckle skin ont he tractor.. :)

but it's for sure doable.

have a selection of extensions, and a swivel socket, or inline swivel you can use.

I removed my dueal head filter element.. or loosened it a bit and removed a line to help some.

also.. on a 4000 as long as it is not a SU model, at least you won't have to deal with a radius rod inthe way like on a 3000/2000

soundguy

soundguy

/ 4000 Ford Starter
Thanks for the offer of the tools Soundguy, but I have a lot of tools. Just trying to help a neighbor out. I have John Deeres, so my experience on a ford is limited.except the 801 I grew up driving. Not sure what model this is. I just know it has a frontend loader right in the way and hard to work around. Tractor will not start, due to starter trouble, so having to work on in outside too. 20 miles from my house. A little aggravating, not know which tools I might need, but will take and assortment. Parts store gave my friend the wrong fuel filter and it would not let fuel flow through it. We got that figured out, by getting another from New Holland(Ford) dealer, and got the fuel flowing, but starter will not engauge. Been setting for two years.
Thanks for help, Eamay

/ 4000 Ford Starter #6  
good luck.

green and blue, they all end up needing a wrench turned now and then.

if you can work on greene ones, you will have no problem with the blue one.