Maintenance comparison- hydrostatic vs. shuttle shift

/ Maintenance comparison- hydrostatic vs. shuttle shift #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
Where I will keep my tractor once I buy, it will be impractical to haul it to a dealer for maintenance, so I have to do maintenance myself. Looking at a 30hp CUT/SCUT, not sure what brand I will buy.

What's involved with regular maintenance on a hydrostatic trans? Drop the pan, make adjustments, change filters- what do they need?

Are shuttle shift transmissions just drain and fill like any gear trans?

I guess, with shuttle, you still have to service the hydraulic system(s), so you have two systems to deal with instead of just one like with hydro.

Hydro's take a lot of fluid- how often do you have to change it out if you only put 75 hours a year on the unit?

What do you think is easier to maintain?

Thanks

/ Maintenance comparison- hydrostatic vs. shuttle shift #2  
Where I will keep my tractor once I buy, it will be impractical to haul it to a dealer for maintenance, so I have to do maintenance myself. Looking at a 30hp CUT/SCUT, not sure what brand I will buy.

What's involved with regular maintenance on a hydrostatic trans? Drop the pan, make adjustments, change filters- what do they need?

Are shuttle shift transmissions just drain and fill like any gear trans?

I guess, with shuttle, you still have to service the hydraulic system(s), so you have two systems to deal with instead of just one like with hydro.

Hydro's take a lot of fluid- how often do you have to change it out if you only put 75 hours a year on the unit?

What do you think is easier to maintain?

Thanks

There is not much maint. on a Hydro. My Kubota book calls for change the hydro and the hydraulic and engine oil filters at 50 hours. then change the fluid at 400 hours. There is no pan. it is just drain plugs. Spray a little fluid film on the pedal linkage once in a while. No adjustments. There is just the one extra filter, and it is a screw on filter just like a normal hydraulic filter on any tractor. No reason to fear a Hydro, they are a well proven system, and I prefer it for the type of work I do (mostly loader) as it allows precise control, ease of use, and safer around buildings and working with people as a ground crew. It is a joy to use.

James K0UA

/ Maintenance comparison- hydrostatic vs. shuttle shift
Makes sense, k0ua. How often should the trans fluid be changed if you only put a few hours on in a year? Seems like changing the fluid every 400 hours might be kind of long if that stretches out to 3 or 4 years.

/ Maintenance comparison- hydrostatic vs. shuttle shift #4  
Well it is up to you, the manual calls for 400 hours, but it you want to change the fluid at the 50 when it calls for the filters, then do so. Some people do just that. I put about 110 hours a year on so far, and did not change the fluid yet. It is expensive for all that fluid, but of course the tractor is a lot more expensive! Also my suggestion is not to try and "cheap out" on the fluid and use a generic brand. I keep reading about trouble with doing that, tho some have gotten away with it. This will probably start and argument, as some people are very opinionated about lubricants and all:). But for me it will be Kubota SUDT or SUDT2 for my little orange pumpkin when the time comes..

James K0UA