Glow plug relay and timer

/ Glow plug relay and timer #1  

pepperalbert

Tractor
new holland tc40
Hi Guys; I have a New Holland TC40 with a glow plug system that does not function. All the fuses are OK. I would like to know which relay is the timer and which relay is for the glow plugs. I have located all the relays under the dash but do not know what is what. Also the hour clock has stop working, am I getting younger? Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!!!!
Albert

/ Glow plug relay and timer #2  
Welcome to TBN!!!

There is a New Holland forum...those folks can best answer your question...but, don't you have the operators manual? The fuses and relays should be explained in the manual.

/ Glow plug relay and timer
Hi Roy, I just bought the Tractor and do not have a shop manual as of yet. Would like a recommendation on which to buy. I am going to do a full service before I put the beauty to work.
Thanks for your reply....Albert

/ Glow plug relay and timer #4  
Hi Roy, I just bought the Tractor and do not have a shop manual as of yet. Would like a recommendation on which to buy. I am going to do a full service before I put the beauty to work.
Thanks for your reply....Albert

The factory manuals are, IMHO, the best...even if you have to pay more.
BTW, in the Deere world, the CD-ROM manuals are considerably cheaper then the paper manuals.

/ Glow plug relay and timer #5  
Albert, I've attached an illustration that should help you. The red box is around your glow plug timer. Item #10 is the glow plug relay, but most often it is the timer that fails. This diagram is from the HST model tractor, but the relays for the glowplugs are in the same place on your tractor. You can buy the timer from your NH dealer for around $70, but a couple of people have said that they took the cover off and found a broken wire inside that was repaired fairly easily and saved them the price. Also there is a NGK replacement on eBay for around $14.

Attachments

• AllRelays2.jpg
    AllRelays2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 27,381
   / Glow plug relay and timer
Hi Jim,
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!+ ONE.
Found the timer relay, tested the glow plug relay, ordered the the part from E-Bay.
Life is good and there is a smile on my mug!!!!!
Thanks Albert

/ Glow plug relay and timer #7  
Has anyone seen an inexpensive timer for TC45D recently? Will the Kubota model S81NL Work in the New Holland. Saw some place where it will substitute but have my doubts. Thanks!

/ Glow plug relay and timer #9  
The only differences between the Kubota timer and New Holland's is the length of the glow and price. The contacts and electrical connections are identical. The NH timer is designed for fast heating glow plugs and has a 5-7 second cycle. I think the Kubota cycle is 10 seconds. . . no big deal. I have two Kubota's for spares, but have not tried them, but others have successfully substituted them. The timer does not supply current directly to the glow plugs on our tractors. It only energizes the high current relay.

BTW: Kubota charges over $60 for that relay at a dealer. It just goes to show you what a markup there is on these parts. I have replaced $75 relays on my NH TLB with a $9 part from Grainger that is an exact duplicate except for mounting. My cheap relay came with a tab for mounting with a screw. Otherwise, there is no difference. Evidently there was some excess Kubota inventory that ended up on eBay. I found glow plug timers for just over $10 each and that included shipping. The Kubota kit even comes with a glow plug lamp, but of course, you have no use for that on the New Holland. It also comes with mating connectors and contacts. It's one heck of a deal. The next time I have my cowling off, I'm gonna swap out the relay just to test it, but I can see no electrical difference between the two.

/ Glow plug relay and timer #10  
I used to run to the dealers for everything. Now I search the net with numbers off the part I want to replace. Takes a few more days but I always have other jobs to do until the part comes.