carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #1  

millville wayne

Tractor
International 225 Gas
I just installed a rebuilt carb after a long battle with the old one freezing up.

Now the tractor runs way too rich, and there's gas in the oil. I'm in Nova Scotia and the new carb came from Ontario. So I can't just drop over to the guy to have him check it.

I'm thinking maybe the wrong jets, but looking for other ides to try.

Does anybody know what other carb might be used instead of the original Zenith VNN?

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #2  
First I would check if the choke is opening fully when the tractor is running. The second place I would look is to see if the float is working. It could be stuck open. Is this an up-draft carburetor? (carb hanging down from intake manifold on the side of the engine) If it is an updraft and the float was stuck it would leak gas when the engine was not running.

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #3  
I just installed a rebuilt carb after a long battle with the old one freezing up.

Now the tractor runs way too rich, and there's gas in the oil. I'm in Nova Scotia and the new carb came from Ontario. So I can't just drop over to the guy to have him check it.

I'm thinking maybe the wrong jets, but looking for other ides to try.

Does anybody know what other carb might be used instead of the original Zenith VNN?

Have you checked the fuel level in the bowl. Sounds like its flooding. Either the needle valve and seat, Fuel level set incorrectly or the float has a hole in it? If it was the wrong jets I doubt you would be getting fuel into the crankcase.
Have you got a manual for the tractor?
If not message me and I will try and find the details in mine.

Bob

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #4  
G'day as others have said i would be thinking a stuck float needle, get a large screwdriver and give the fuel bowl a few sharp raps with the handle, I have seen floats stick when they have been in transit.

Jon

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #5  
You will notice I am from Ontario. We are not really all bad up here.
what kind of tractor?
up or down draft?
does the fuel shut off tap work?
where is the carb in relation to the engine?
A rule my father taught me to set up a carb was to wind in both jets screws and turn them out about 2.5 turns. You might have the jets running to rich. As suggested above how does your choke work is it pulled back when you move the cable.

Craig Clayton

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #6  
High fuel pressure will also push fuel past the float needle and seat. More likely there is dirt in the float circuit.

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275
First I would check if the choke is opening fully when the tractor is running. The second place I would look is to see if the float is working. It could be stuck open. Is this an up-draft carburetor? (carb hanging down from intake manifold on the side of the engine) If it is an updraft and the float was stuck it would leak gas when the engine was not running.

It's a down-draft carburetor

Have you checked the fuel level in the bowl. Sounds like its flooding. Either the needle valve and seat, Fuel level set incorrectly or the float has a hole in it? If it was the wrong jets I doubt you would be getting fuel into the crankcase.
Have you got a manual for the tractor?
If not message me and I will try and find the details in mine.

Bob

That's what has me stumped. No fuel in the bowl.

Appreciate all the replies so far. Just a couple of other things.

Trying to solve the freezing with the old carb I enclosed the whole manifold/carb to keep the heat in., I wondered if I might be starving the carb, but like I said....no fuel in the bowl and the tractor starts and runs great. Just don't want to run it until I get this solved so I don't do any damage.

And also ducted the heat to the oil bath, if this offers any more clues.

/ carb runs rich & Gas in oil pan - International B275 #10  
That's what has me stumped. No fuel in the bowl.

When you check the carby when its cold and the tractor has not been run you have no fuel in the carby??? (how does it start!!!)
Or you are looking at the fuel level in the carby after it is warm and has been running???
Wonder if your "heat box" around the manifold and carby is not vaporizing the fuel in the bowl causing an over rich mixture.
Certainly sound unusual is it easy to strip the "heat box" off to test the tractor without it??
Just an idea