Ford 640 134ci

/ Ford 640 134ci #1  

michaelpoe260

Tractor
Ford 640
I have a situation of motor oil blowing out around oil filter adapter plate.
No visable damage to adaptor or adaptor gasket. I have pulled oil pump and checked and cleaned pressure release.
This old tractor had been flooded in local river and sat for several days.(Of course, no one mentioned that before I bought it) so Im about to conclude that river silt may be blocking ports etc.
Does anyone have an idea about flushing out the block thoroughly or tell me the route the oil takes after it leaves the filter and back into the block.
I was hoping to delay the inevitable major overhaul for a while but it pumps out oil very quickly so I cant let it run long enough for berrymans etc.
I will welcome any helpful insight.
MP

/ Ford 640 134ci #2  
I have a situation of motor oil blowing out around oil filter adapter plate.
No visable damage to adaptor or adaptor gasket. I have pulled oil pump and checked and cleaned pressure release.
This old tractor had been flooded in local river and sat for several days.(Of course, no one mentioned that before I bought it) so Im about to conclude that river silt may be blocking ports etc.
Does anyone have an idea about flushing out the block thoroughly or tell me the route the oil takes after it leaves the filter and back into the block.
I was hoping to delay the inevitable major overhaul for a while but it pumps out oil very quickly so I cant let it run long enough for berrymans etc.
I will welcome any helpful insight.
MP

The usual route for lube oil is out of the pump, past the relief valve into thecrankshaft whre it oils the mains and rod bearings then to the cam bearings and then to the valve train. There is leakage around the mains and the rod bearings and around the cam bearing and when it come s off the valves in runs down the pushrods on to the cam lobes and into the crankcase. If you have a full flow filter, it is generally located after the pump. If it's a partial flow, it's somewhere in the main oil gallery and is controlled by an orifice in the filter.

Have you replaced the filter? It's probabbly clogged or had water in it and the element collapsed.
To clean it up, I would make sure there was full oil flow everywhere. If you have an oil pressure gauge see what the spec oil pressure is l. Drain the old oil out and replace with fresh oil. Run the engine, monitioring the oil prressure and make sure you have oil pressure near the spec level and allow the engine to come up to operating temperature. Let it stay there for 10-15 minutes at idle. Shut down, drain the oil , replace the filter and refill with fresh oil.

/ Ford 640 134ci #3  
yep.. if the filter had water in it it's trashed.

and I couldn't tell from the message if the oring under the adapter was actually replaced?

/ Ford 640 134ci
Thanks Soundguy,
Its certainly water got into the next two or three filters I used in the sequence of drain, refill and flush events. This last filter still felt pretty light so I suck it backon while I checked iolpump release vale and to hopefully do a little diesel and oil mixture to flush for a short few minutes. Anyway it relly shot out the diesel but it didnt occur to me about the filter being packed with river silt and water. I am very hopeful that my oversight with the new filter will be the cure! I just dont know anyotherway to real==aly clean out the internal block. However theoil is coming back a whole lot cleaner each flush so the filture makes a lot of sense. I'll try tomorrow and let you all know The darn little ford is relly running good I even plante about 10 acres of waalken oats with no problemuntil the flying oil began to leave the tractor at a real hurry.
Thanks Again And yes the adapter gasket was rplaced. Oil come out betwenn gasket and block
MP

Last edited:
   / Ford 640 134ci #5  
diesel is a good solvent.. but not for water.

get a can of transtune seafoam. it can safely be added to engine oil. it contains a form of alcohol.. that is a polar solvent. will disolve watr, and allow it to be carried out in soloution witht he oil or thinned oil/diesel.

walmart st8a oil filters are less than 3 bucks each. I'd buy a box of them...

I own a ford 541 that was a 'swimmer' in katrina out of a low part of LA.

took about 15g of oil and more solvents altogehter to get all the sumps flushed.

soundguy

/ Ford 640 134ci #6  
i wouldn't run a motor long with diesel in it if you wont to keep that motor and not rebuild it because you will wash out every bearing

/ Ford 640 134ci #7  
I think you and I both know that addind a lil diesel to the engine oil and starting it up as a flush is no big deal.

they make commercial engine flushes that are more or less a quart of diesel and some detergent...

soundguy

/ Ford 640 134ci #8  
I think you and I both know that addind a lil diesel to the engine oil and starting it up as a flush is no big deal.

they make commercial engine flushes that are more or less a quart of diesel and some detergent...

soundguy

yea i took that he was running it in there to try to find a leak thats not a good idea but just to start up and run for a minute or two just to flush shouldn't hurt

/ Ford 640 134ci #9  
he's apparrently still got lots of water in the block, and it's plugging his filters fast. that's why I sugested the alcohol addative to disolve the water ( polar solvent ).. and the lil bit of diesel to thin it a hair.. then the atf for some extra detergents.

decent sump flush.

if water plugs his filter and it goes into bypass immediatly, it does him no good...

/ Ford 640 134ci #10  
he's apparrently still got lots of water in the block, and it's plugging his filters fast. that's why I sugested the alcohol addative to disolve the water ( polar solvent ).. and the lil bit of diesel to thin it a hair.. then the atf for some extra detergents.

decent sump flush.

if water plugs his filter and it goes into bypass immediatly, it does him no good...

nope dont do him any good and yea alcohol is his best friend when it comes to water that are seafoam