ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ?

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
buddy has a 97 dodge with the 5.9l magnum ( 360 ) has a window in the block. efi.. etc..

we was gonna buy my beater rough looking but good running 98 dodge just for the engine.. but I enede dup selling it to work when one of our dodge 3500 work trucks sucked the injector pump thru the engine :(

anyway.. he found a carbed 360 from an 85 or so ? model.. and was wondering if block was the same. IE.. could he swap intakes and all and use the block?

thanks

soundguy

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #2  
Yup, the intake will swap. You want to keep the heads paired up with the block, because they are dependent on the piston domes, and they are going to be different across the years. The earlier engine probably has a Carter Thermoquad which is a great carburetor unless it doesn't work right, and then can be difficult to repair as it often warps. You can put a Rochester Quadrajet carb on as a replacement if you want, as long as you put the right jets and metering rods in it.

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ?
he was thinking of keeping it carbed and using the dizzy instead of coil packs. not sure what impact that would have on engine management cpu etc..

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #4  
Almost nothing will swap as a direct bolt on between Magnum generation small block Mopar engines and older style engines of the same cu in size, not even the heads as the oiling system and pushrod angle is substantially different. The intakes can sort of be swapped but the holes have to be elongated a bunch and a set of spacers have to be used, but certainly not worth the trouble.;)

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #5  
The short answer is ,swapping the engines is not that big of a deal, but the expense isn't worth it. An older 5.2 is minimal cost to convert to use in 92-01 Rams (about $200 in parts), but converting an older 5.9 to operate in place of a Magnum 5.9 will cost more (1800-2000 done right) than a good used engine.
I have done the conversions on both variatons of 5.2 and 5.9 engines so if you want more detailed information let me know and I'll send it to you in a Word file. It would take up too much room here.
Also, if the truck is an automatic and you want a functional transmission either forget about using a carb or plan on spending even more money.
Ken

sound slike a computer issue then!

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #7  
sound slike a computer issue then!

Okay, bringing this up..Reminded me about another point. In Event of a disaster knocking out computer chips on autos and trucks? Would it Work to run hot wire to the Dist and Injection on early trucks to make a operable truck.?I doubt that Ignition mods would work on the engines Built With-out distributors as the blackbox would be dead? What about it? Car Doc? Dodge man? Any one?

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #8  
Almost nothing will swap as a direct bolt on between Magnum generation small block Mopar engines and older style engines of the same cu in size, not even the heads as the oiling system and pushrod angle is substantially different. The intakes can sort of be swapped but the holes have to be elongated a bunch and a set of spacers have to be used, but certainly not worth the trouble.;)

I agree with this, the engines are very different. Just about any engine can be swapped into any vehicle, its just a matter of how much money. The engines are so common, why fight a difficult swap?

i think he was wanting to do it as the older 5.9 he found was virtually free.

don't sound like a good deal though..

/ ot dodge 360 from 85 same block as 97 ? #10  
Okay, bringing this up..Reminded me about another point. In Event of a disaster knocking out computer chips on autos and trucks? Would it Work to run hot wire to the Dist and Injection on early trucks to make a operable truck.?I doubt that Ignition mods would work on the engines Built With-out distributors as the blackbox would be dead? What about it? Car Doc? Dodge man? Any one?

Just running a hot wire to the injectors and distributor won't accomplish anything good as the computer controls the fuel and timing events. If you have a failure on the road the best thing to do is pull out your AAA card.

Ken