Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #1  

mcs3372

Tractor
Kubota L2800
Hello to all,
I am new to this site and new to tractors. I just purchased a L2800 and am hoping I made good choice. Before I get too worked up I am going to assume I am doing something wrong. The tractor starts fine but when I have it in low and go to move forward it shuts right off. It almost acts like a safety switch because it cuts off immediately.
It did it 3 times to the guy that delivered it and he seemed confused and said it was cold.(the guys father that i purchased the tractor from)He then started it again and gave it more RPMs and it did it one more time and he quickly got it to level ground at let it idle and left.
Anyways to make a long story short I tried it in Medium range and it does it less frequent but does seem to be better when warm and RPMs higher. I just got it yesterday and have not got a manual yet. When moving forward or reverse in low or medium is it required to give more throttle(RPMs) in order to move.Is there a certain RPM I should be at just to drive with no load? I even checked the under seat to see if that seat safety was maybe sticking. Please, any help or feedback would be great! Positive or negative. Thank you:(

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #2  
welcome!

give more info re the tractor and we can be more specific

it should move at idle in low
check fuel filter for not clogged
also, once I had similar symptoms, turned out the diesel fuel shutoff solenoid wires were loose

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #3  
Is the parking brake on

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #4  
Sounds like it has an issue. Safety switch can shut the tractor down but it would predictable and consistent. Is this tractor a HST? If your throttle setting seems to change it then it could be the fuel filter, Is the tractor new or used?

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off
Thank you all for reply!! The tractor has 588 hrs.Tractor is Hydst. The parking brake is not on but that is exactly what it acts like. Sounds like when i go to move ahead it is under too heavy a load and quits immediately. but a few times when it quits i can react fast enough to let off and it starts back running.Do you think this is probably minor problem?I haven't called guy i bought it from yet. Could this be a major issue? thanks again, Mary

Last edited:
   / Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #6  
simple problem
exactly same symptoms as i had
manual shows where diesel solenoid cut off is. Wires on mine were jostled by a big bump during operation. THey LOOKED ok, but pulling them off and reseating solved the problem. DO THIS FIRST . Yours was just transported, maybe same

I spent days following fuel lines, replacing filters, etc.
only happened once in 1000 hrs.

if you bought from dealer, have him fix
otherwise, few know about the solenoid symptom. Solenoid could be bad but unlikely

pm me if you wish

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #7  
texasjohn said:
simple problem
manual shows where diesel solenoid cut off is. Wires on mine were jostled by a big bump during operation. THey LOOKED ok, but pulling them off and reseating solved the problem. DO THIS FIRST . Yours was just transported, maybe same

otherwise, few know about the solenoid symptom. Solenoid could be bad but unlikely

pm me if you wish

Know nothing about Kubotas but this sounds like it could be right to me. Best of luck and hope you get it working right.

Congrats on your purchase by the way and post pics when you can!:thumbsup:

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #8  
simple problem
otherwise, few know about the solenoid symptom. Solenoid could be bad but unlikely pm me if you wish

John good info to know will keep that in back of my mind in case my L3400 starts acting up. :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off
Oh thank you sooo much for reply. Just had a few of my friends stop and went to back tractor out of shop so i could unload a pick up and it cut off several times!!! I really like the tractor just am mad because the guy who sold it to me told me he checked it himself and it was ready to work.Not!! Oil was blacker than black. needed grease and good cleaning and shuts off. I cant even drive 50ft. to get my firewood!! I have to get a manual asap. Not even sure where to get that because everyone says dealer here is a crook! Can i go on line to find description of what and how to do? Thank you all for info. and i will get pics soon. i am terrible with a computer so i am learning computers and tractors as i go

/ Just bought used Kubota L2800/keeps shutting off #10  
I wouldn't jump to any conclusion on the oil color too soon, diesel engine oil gets very black very quickly. It may have been changed the day before for all the color will tell you, or not since the tractor rolled out of the dealer. Maybe someone else can share a way to check oil condition other than sending a sample for analysis, but I can only tell by maintenance records how long it has been in.

Cleanness is also not a criteria for a tractor being ready to go, just not usual when someone is selling a vehicle of any kind. First lesson I got when hunting a used car with my dad, "if someone trades in a car dirty it is because they got frustrated with it and didn't care anymore cause a clean car gets more money than a dirty car. Don't buy someone's trouble." I wouldn't be looking for a detailed and polished tractor, but if it wasn't washed and lubed before I looked I would be concerned.

You won't find much online in the way of diagrams or pictures since Kubota does not give permission for their manuals to be published that way. You might find some older model info, but I would be surprised.