Clutch adjustment on 4630 John Deere

/ Clutch adjustment on 4630 John Deere #1  

Paul F

Tractor
JD 4630, JD 4010, INT 986
The clutch on my 4630 John Deere tractor is not releasing /disengaging completely. I bought it about 8 months ago and don't know a lot about working on it. When I put it in neutral or park, I can feel and see the tractor rocking back and forth just a little bit. I can also hear the engine speed change as it is trying to pull as the clutch is partially engaging. Consequently, it's hard to shift from one gear to the next or from range to range. Obviously, it's not good for the clutch, but also troublesome to work with. How do I adjust the clutch free play. Is it cable or hydraulic linkage?
Any help would be appreciated.

/ Clutch adjustment on 4630 John Deere #2  
Paul,
Are you talking about a big 160HP 4630?
I don't know if JD made a CUT with the same number, but I know that sometimes their numbers are on more than one model.

If you are talking about the 160HP 4630, you need to get a service manual.
The clutch isn't a clutch like anything you've ever seen, probably.
It's a completely hydraulic clutch. When you press the clutch pedal all you're doing is stroking a valve that lets oil into or out of the clutch operating piston.
While the linkage from the pedal to the valve does require proper adjustment, it's not as simple as adjusting a dry clutch.

Take a look at jdparts.com. Type in your model number, then take a look at the clutch assembly, the operating piston and the two valves associated with the clutch.

Hope this helps,
Mark