I'm going crazy!

/ I'm going crazy! #1  

alegriarick

Trying to figure out why my Ford 650 won't start. I had the distributor out to clean, and I'm not sure I got it in the right place - yes I have already tried several notches on either side. I replaced the coil twice and the one in there now is giving me good sparks on all the plugs. I installed an electronic ignition which seems to not care what cylinder is in which position (yes I have the firing order as 1243) I can't find or see the timing marks on the flywheel because of a hydraulic pump in the way, and rust on the flywheel has seemingly obliterated the marks. So I find TDC with a screwdriver blade in the #1 cylinder, note the position of the rotor, then pop the cap back on, and voila! Nothing:confused:!

So that leaves me with a carb - the original Marvel Schebler. I replaced the kit over a year ago and had the tractor running for a few seconds but shut it down because I didn't have the new radiator yet. After a few months waiting, gas was dripping out the carb. So I eventually replaced the float needle. But now a few months later it is still leaking out the carburetor intake. Is it the alcoholic gas we have? Will I need to put another needle in?

I suspect I am having a combination of a timing problem, and a carb problem. But what do I do no? This project has been going on for over 2 yrs, and we desperately need to move some hay bales into the pasture!

Help me ObiWan Kenobi!!:laughing:

/ I'm going crazy! #2  
Just a shot in the dark here, but did you have the didtributor out after it was running? If so finding the TDC with a screwdriver is how we all do it but TDC comes around twice once for combustion and once for exhaust. It could be 180 degrees out you can tell by taking the valve cover off at TDC on combustion both valves need to be closed. I know that is real elementary and I am not saying you don't know what you are doing, but I did that once it's not to hard when the distributor is out expecally if you can't see the timing marks. Just a thought.

/ I'm going crazy! #3  
I had a distributor out once and when I put the distributor back in and ran my new plug wires, I assumed the distributor turned clockwise, but it actually turned counter clockwise, messing up the firing order of my plug wires.
It only takes a couple of minutes to take the rotor cap off and check which way the rotor is turning. Sometimes it,s the simple things. Good luck and please let us know what the problem was when you find it.

/ I'm going crazy!
Well I got it to fire today! I guess first I was 180 degrees off. But when I changed it it still didn't work. So I shifted the plug wires by one space counterclockwise. Still nothing, so I did it again, and it fired.

So I've got the timing reasonably working, but it only runs for about 2 seconds. We tried fiddling around with the carburetor settings and got it to run a little longer. But tomorrow I think I am just going to get a new carb kit and some carb cleaner and give that sucker a decent cleaning and overhaul - again. I still can't figure out why the gas is leaking out the front end of the carb. I put a new needle valve. Surely the alcohol didn't eat through that already - its just been a couple of months. Any ideas?

/ I'm going crazy! #5  
Two things come to mind. First, check your float. If it is a hollow float shake it to see if it sloshes. If it is a solid float let it sit for a day or so and see if it gets lighter in weight. Or, if a new float is inexpensive just go ahead and replace it.

Second, if you still have the original needle valve compare it to the new one to confirm you got the correct part.

Ken

/ I'm going crazy!
The float's OK - it is a bronze float I think. I just soaked all the carb. parts in cleaner for a few days, and as soon as I can find another kit I will replace all the parts. There was a lot of gunk in the carburetor. Thanks for the input. Maybe this week we will get it running!