Replace metal fuel line with what ?

/ Replace metal fuel line with what ? #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
On my '72 the fuel line from tank to filter then from filter to IP needs replacing. from the factory they were bent metal tubing with inverted flare connections.

Is there an easier product to work with like plastic tube that you can use? Or does most everyone cut the metal line off and clamp hose in its place?

I have seen a few inverted tube to barb adapters is that better?

Last edited:
   / Replace metal fuel line with what ? #2  
brake line is cheap.. :)

/ Replace metal fuel line with what ? #3  
Or does most everyone cut the metal line off and clamp hose in its place?

I've done this a made it work OK. Sometimes they leak, most times not.

Brass barbed fittings would be best.

Standard fuel hose from your local auto store.

/ Replace metal fuel line with what ?
brake line is cheap.. :)

Do you mean the rubber brake hose with inverted flare ends? OR metal tube and bend to match up. I'd have to buy the bender and flaring tool too that I won't use again for a long time.

I guess its a skill I should learn.

/ Replace metal fuel line with what ? #5  
That's why I bought one of these... Eastwood Double Single Professional Brake Tubing Flaring Tool | eBay

One of those "worth it's weight in gold" tools when you need it. The two brake lines I made for my Case hoe, paid for it. Although, last year it was like $189.00 I believe around Christmas time. I use the alloy brake line from Advance Auto parts. Got it online too, around Christmas time. It was on sale, buy one roll, get the second one for half price. Easy to bend, and form, and a lot more rust resistant, then regular steel lines.

It's not for everyone, but as many tractors, and trucks as I have, it was worth it to me to keep in the shop tool box.

Seems I have this knack for twisting something off like this, 2 minmutes before the dealer/parts store closes... :eek:

/ Replace metal fuel line with what ? #6  
I replaced the steel line from the tank to pump with copper tubing,after it rotted out on my old 84 dodge.Been 10 years ago,and brake lines only last a couple of years,but the copper fuel line is still in good shape.

/ Replace metal fuel line with what ? #7  
harbor freight has a tool set cheap, and the metal tubing is like 50 cents a foot for the non green coated stuff.

hand held benders are about 3-4$ at harbor freight too.

good tools to have..

your call.

low pressure line? rubber should probably be ok for a while if you get it sealed good...

i've done both, when needed.. etc..