Tractor
    LS S3010

Default Cleaning up a PTO Cross/U-joint

Bought a used PTO post hole digger and one of the u-joints (tractor end) was missing its grease fitting. Not sure how long it has been that way, but there is dirt filling the hole where the fitting is missing. The joint still works smooth, so I know it's not too bad. I thought about replacing the joint, but after a little research I determined that looks like a lot of work. Now I'm thinking of soaking that end of the shaft in gasoline and blowing out the old grease and dirt with compressed air. Another option would be to clean out as much grease and dirt as I can from the hole and just install a new grease fitting. Any suggestions or observations would be appreciated.
    Lil' Blue
    ------------------
    LS Tractor S3010 w/FEL
    Ag-Meier Mohawk Brave 5' cutter
    Armstrong Ag BB05-Std 5' Box Blade
    TSC CountyLine Middle Buster
    WildKat 48" Single Cyl Grapple
    Versatech 42" Pallet Forks
    A "no name" Stump Bucket that works really well

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Default Re: Cleaning up a PTO Cross/U-joint

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueTractor View Post
    Bought a used PTO post hole digger and one of the u-joints (tractor end) was missing its grease fitting. Not sure how long it has been that way, but there is dirt filling the hole where the fitting is missing. The joint still works smooth, so I know it's not too bad. I thought about replacing the joint, but after a little research I determined that looks like a lot of work. Now I'm thinking of soaking that end of the shaft in gasoline and blowing out the old grease and dirt with compressed air. Another option would be to clean out as much grease and dirt as I can from the hole and just install a new grease fitting. Any suggestions or observations would be appreciated.
    i think this should work just fine. I mean the worse thing that could happen would be the u joint fails later on/..... replace it then. A post hole digger isnt an emergency implement....not like a snow plow or blower.

if it was mine id do just like you were thinking of doing
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks