Cleaning up a PTO Cross/U-joint

/ Cleaning up a PTO Cross/U-joint #1  

LittleBlueTractor

Gold Member
Tractor
LS S3010
Bought a used PTO post hole digger and one of the u-joints (tractor end) was missing its grease fitting. Not sure how long it has been that way, but there is dirt filling the hole where the fitting is missing. The joint still works smooth, so I know it's not too bad. I thought about replacing the joint, but after a little research I determined that looks like a lot of work. Now I'm thinking of soaking that end of the shaft in gasoline and blowing out the old grease and dirt with compressed air. Another option would be to clean out as much grease and dirt as I can from the hole and just install a new grease fitting. Any suggestions or observations would be appreciated.

/ Cleaning up a PTO Cross/U-joint #2  
Bought a used PTO post hole digger and one of the u-joints (tractor end) was missing its grease fitting. Not sure how long it has been that way, but there is dirt filling the hole where the fitting is missing. The joint still works smooth, so I know it's not too bad. I thought about replacing the joint, but after a little research I determined that looks like a lot of work. Now I'm thinking of soaking that end of the shaft in gasoline and blowing out the old grease and dirt with compressed air. Another option would be to clean out as much grease and dirt as I can from the hole and just install a new grease fitting. Any suggestions or observations would be appreciated.

i think this should work just fine. I mean the worse thing that could happen would be the u joint fails later on/..... replace it then. A post hole digger isnt an emergency implement....not like a snow plow or blower.

if it was mine id do just like you were thinking of doing