Northern Tool tool's that don't suck

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #21  
If you can dissasemble the batter it is easy to replace just the sells. Doubt you will spend more than $30

Right but where are you going to find replacement cells for a Northern Tool battery?

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #24  
I only buy when it's on-sale due the high shipping. Each winter they have a special where you buy a certain amount and get a gift card. Last two years I waited until this offer came out and bought $500 and got a $100 GC. That just about makes up for the shipping. This year I got a 3 point sprayer. I bought a Powerhorse 46cc chainsaw which starts, runs, and cuts well. However, I do not recommend it because no source for parts.

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #25  
I used to always buy a lot from them when they would have free shipping. Their shipping charges are the highest that I am aware of. I have never got a bad item from them, though.
Once in a while I will see something in one of their promo emails that I am interested in, but as often as not, I will not buy it because of the shipping costs.

I buy mainly from Amazon if they have what I want, since the free shipping usually makes them to be the best deal.

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #26  
I have purchased a 5hp 3000psi power washer from Northern tool and I have been using it off and on for 15 years. Maybe it was made before everything went to China? I would not be afraid of making a purchase unless you plan on using the item everyday.

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #27  
Most of my shop came from Northern. I will list a few things, but I will have forgotten most of it.

12 ton shop press
parts washer
gorilla workbench
Horiz/vert steel cutoff saw
portable band saw (only crappy thing)
pressure washer (Cat pump, Honda engine)
3/4" socket set (for Cat 1 size implement bolts)
multiple size socket set many sockets (for back of the Baja)
brush grubber
air compressor (like Bird's)
7200 watt PTO generator
a mill/lathe combo (not sold now...way bigger than new ones)
Hobart Handler 135
slide hammer set
bearing/bushing driver set
FWD bearing service set
two-eyed Mr. Heater...that thing is great!
really nice vice
I want an anvil, but don't have one yet.

There are other tools I know I have forgotten.
Sorry I can't tell specific items, but if you post a link to anything you are considering, it's likely someone has it. Sounds like it's likely I have it, I know. :D

I bought most of this stuff before shipping was much of an issue. I have noticed in the last couple of years that shipping is more of an issue for nearly any purchase. Most times, I can have it shipped to the local store for free, and pick it up. But in cases where that is not true, it is a challenge...and frequently I just pass.

Someone said they forgo battery powered stuff in favor of corded anymore. I am in that camp.

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #28  
Tons of good deals on trailer parts. I bought a Log Splitter with a Honda engine 15yrs ago runs perfect. Timber Jack and log chains. Never had a prob. It's a step up from HF for sure.

Last edited:
   / Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #29  
Their stuff may be good...

I'll tack my comment onto this thread instead of creating a new one.

Six months ago I order some stuff from Northern Tool. Their employees made one mistake after another, but I finally got my order. Time passes, the painful memories fade.

I see an item I could really use. I'm hesitant, due to my first and only experience with them, but NT has it for the lowest price around. I call the store on Monday and explain to an assistant manager (I'm not talking to the lower life forms) that I'm driving 85 miles to pick up the item. He tells me they have 2 in the store, but he will put one up front by the registers for me, "on hold", with my name on it. (I don't really trust them from my last purchase, so I call again on Friday.) Another assistant manager tells me that there are none set aside by the registers. He tells me there are 4 in the store, and he will put one in the FSD area, in back. I drive the 85 miles, and guess what? "No, there's nothing back there for you." OK, I find one on the shelf. (There were 4 on the shelf, actually.) I take it to check out, and they come from the back with one. They tell me I spelled my name wrong. Now the checker rings it up. I don't get the sale price. I tell her. She said, "This is the price in the computer." She continued, "You must have gotten the price on-line." No, it was from your catalog 1208. She pulls her catalog, number 1206, and points to the item; "See, this is the right price." I ask if she has catalog 1208. No answer. The guy who brought the one up from the warehouse goes to a computer and looks it up. He tells her the item is on sale. He tells the checker that I already paid for it. No, I need to pay for it now. I get my item, at the correct price. Now I load it and sit in the truck a while to lower my blood pressure before I drive in the Houston traffic. Bottom line: if they are giving away their stuff -- I will never shop Northern Tool again. It's just not worth the hassle.

I'm used to big box stores employing the incompetent. But to get a job at Northern Tool, you must have to pass a blistering battery of tests to prove you can't wipe the drool off your own chin.

[Rant off]

/ Northern Tool tool's that don't suck #30  
Yeah, I too bought one of those 14 gallon gas buddies. I never thought about having to lug that 115# when full unbalanced bomb around. Useless. Totally useless.

I used to buy my Husqvarna mower blades from NT in Houston. Price was $29/set of 3. Next time I went to buy them they had gone up to $69/set! I asked why; no logic in that kind of price change. Their reply was that they'd been 'ordered by headquarters' to raise the prices on parts, that they weren't making enough. hmmm - okay, so I'll just buy mine at any one of the other 1500 outlets.

On the other side of the coin, I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from NT in Houston. The have good stuff, and cheap stuff. Good stuff is priced about the same as everyone else'. Cheap stuff there is right on par with Harbor Freight; cheap price, cheap made. Did someone say "You pay for what you get - hopefully?"

I've since moved to Georgia with no Norther Tool stores nor Harbor Freight stores close. Freight charges makes them both uncompetitive.