Need help removing rusted up nut!

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #11  
PB Blaster!

Spray some, let it sit overnight, spray it again, repeat for 2 or 3 days and it will fall off.

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #12  
To answer your question on 1 inch impact. Most truck or tractor tire stores would have one.

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #13  
Here is a trick my father told me about removing large nuts that are tight on the shaft and in a difficult position and you do not want to damage the temper or shaft seals.
Take a drill of good quality and drill the lenght of the nut. If you can find the sweat spot then you only need to jump up a small size range and there will be very little meat left. Then use a chisel and split the nut.
A mini dremel with several cutter wheels.
There is a newer 4 1/2" angle grinder disk out that is called a ZIP wheel. These are very thin about 1/16" and you use them like a pizza cutter on thinner metal. I buy they by the 6 pack because they do wear down fast but they are like cutting with a knife.

Craig Clayton

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #14  
just get a 10 ft pipe and use it as a cheater. this will turn it off.it needs to be that tight when you put it back together.you have to hold the gang with a pipe wrench.then turn it with the cheater.i do not think you will need heat.if you feel heat is necessary just heat the nut.

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #15  
G'day before you go destroying the nut when removing it pays to check if a new one is available, if so then there are several good ideas here. Have you tried hitting the side of the nut while you have a dolly hammer on the other side, work your way around the nut I have freed things up like that before.

Jon

/ Need help removing rusted up nut!
Tried a longer bar but still did not work. I went to a local heavy equipment shop today and they used a 1" impact driver and it spun right off! Cost me $10 for the pair but money well spent. Cheaper than a hernia! Thanks for all of the advice!

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #17  
G'day before you go destroying the nut when removing it pays to check if a new one is available, if so then there are several good ideas here. Have you tried hitting the side of the nut while you have a dolly hammer on the other side, work your way around the nut I have freed things up like that before.

Jon
yep, that works too.. you are deforming the nut slightly, ie.. maing it's ID larger.. good idea... have used it many times.

soudnguy

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #18  
Tried a longer bar but still did not work. I went to a local heavy equipment shop today and they used a 1" impact driver and it spun right off! Cost me $10 for the pair but money well spent. Cheaper than a hernia! Thanks for all of the advice!

I bet it was cheaper than buying a new nut too.

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #19  
Like many have mentioned, PB Blaster works great. There is one product that is cheaper and it works even better. Brake Clean! Try it sometime...what is there to loose?

I usually soak the part with PB as far ahead of time as I can. If that doesn't work then I spray it with brake clean. If that doesn't work, then I heat the part a little and spray it with brake clean and PB. Sometimes I'll repeat heating and spraying quite a few times until it works. I believe the brake clean washes away the rust that would otherwise keep the PB from working.

Obviously, be careful with how much you spray and proper ventilation, because brake clean is quite flamable.

/ Need help removing rusted up nut! #20  
I had the same problem on a 72" disc too, but it wasn't rust it was the lock washer, man that thing was doing a good job, keeping the nut from comming off. after I got it loosened it pealed off the flat face of the nut. I usuall loose the nut first time out the door.
David