Blasting media-What price

/ Blasting media-What price #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
Does anyone know what the price of some non-sand blasting media should be. My brother in law went to pick up some from TSC and they wanted $100 for a bag. I dont know what they were pricing, but that sounds outrageous. I have a little small sand blaster that works ok for small projects (Sears brand) but had never found any blast media. He had called around asked for 80 grit black beauty type and TSC had some, but when he went to get it, they wanted $100. I wasnt with him so I dont know what they priced.

/ Blasting media-What price #3  
Black Diamond at TSC is $7.99 for a 50# bag. Do not know what he was pricing at $100 a bag. The price at TSC for Black Diamond is very reasonable.

/ Blasting media-What price
I think that what he priced was all they had and that was in Hot Springs, Malvern TSC didnt have any. I guess it could have been Aluminum Oxide which looks to be pretty expensive from HF. I dont know what they priced. $7.99 is reasonable from what I found on internet which precludes purchase due to weight and shipping charges. I dont know why hardly anyone stocks blast media. One would think hardware stores like ACE, Lowes, Home Depot would have it but not here in my neck of the woods.

/ Blasting media-What price #5  
I run aluminum oxide in my blast cabinet. I didnt pay that much, but it is more expensive than most abrasives. I wouldnt use it in free air as the cost isnt worth it, but in a cabinet, the long life pays off.

/ Blasting media-What price #6  
We always did use silica sand with great results. But they made it illegal to use for blasting because of silica fume. I have been told that some stores still carry it,just don't tell them what you are using it for.
Bill

/ Blasting media-What price #9  
I get Black Beauty at my local autoparts store and local machine shop. I can usually get coarse and fine grits.

For glass and specialty media I shop tptools.com

/ Blasting media-What price #10  
Live in the midwest, Menards, 50 lb bag of coal slag is $7.00. I have a filtered air hood/ cooler setup, on my IR 185 compressor, so I usually use sillica sand $5.00/50 lb when I am doing stuff at home away from the general public, but use coal slag when on a job. If it is dry out, I usually sweep it up and run it thru a window screen and back into the pot it goes, but I can go thru a pallet a day stripping railings for paint prep. At that volume, the more I can recycle, the better. Coal slag does leave a greenish residue on concrete if it gets wet and not swept up right away. Washes off in the rain. Sillica sand (quartz) is white, and is cleaner to use- less visable dust to clean up, but toxic to the lungs without the proper equipment. Also caused by blasting concrete. Google Silicosis. It is irreversible with no known cure, so think first.