Where do you buy bearings??? discs??

/ Where do you buy bearings??? discs?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I am replacing the bearings on an old harrow. (Made back then when American steel ruled!) I have the parts number and see the referenced part listed in most tractor supply houses and also online at The Big Bearing Store.

My question is since the price varies fron $22 to $39 depending on the source, is the quality the same? Obviously, they don't specify the brand or place of manufacture, and I expect most of these are not made here anymore. Is the $22 one from the Big Bearing Store a decent bearing or should I expect a better one from a place like Shoups or Ag Supply?

I could ask the same thing of replacement discs. I want a 1/4" disc and could buy it from Athens Plow (my disc make) or several other catalog suppliers where they have choices of Brazillian or Indian steel. Where would you buy discs? I am going to spend at least $1000 on new discs so I want to make sure I get good ones.

Or does it really matter?

/ Where do you buy bearings??? discs?? #2  
From the pics you posted earlier in another thread, I'd try the existing blades first to see how they work. Nothing says they HAVE to be replaced if they aren't broken. A friend has a John Deere tandem disc and it has quite worn down discs from the original size, 18" now and probably 20" or 22" when new, but they still work 100 %, the only thing is the disc won't cut as deep as it used to but then, full depth cut isn't always desired nor required.

BTW, you would have better luck with replies if you kept all your questions in one thread instead of posting new threads to every question.

/ Where do you buy bearings??? discs?? #3  
I am replacing the bearings on an old harrow. (Made back then when American steel ruled!) I have the parts number and see the referenced part listed in most tractor supply houses and also online at The Big Bearing Store.
My question is since the price varies fron $22 to $39 depending on the source, is the quality the same? Obviously, they don't specify the brand or place of manufacture, and I expect most of these are not made here anymore. Is the $22 one from the Big Bearing Store a decent bearing or should I expect a better one from a place like Shoups or Ag Supply?
I could ask the same thing of replacement discs. I want a 1/4" disc and could buy it from Athens Plow (my disc make) or several other catalog suppliers where they have choices of Brazillian or Indian steel. Where would you buy discs? I am going to spend at least $1000 on new discs so I want to make sure I get good ones.
Or does it really matter?

Try calling :TBN member Ken Sweet :Sweet Farm Equipment Co.,Disc Mowers, Compact Tractors,Implements, Ship Nationwide Daily orDN Equipment I have bought disc/coulter wheels etc from both in past and have found their prices very comparible when shopping for quality.
I have bent Brazilian and Indian steel disc(knotched) hitting rocks etc.
The disc on my current d/harrow are made in Canada and I have yet to bend/damage them.
Not saying steel from Brazil bad,I don't know where they get it from to build their lifetime warrenty Tauras firearms(etc).
Also we could say the same for great Mahindra tractors(about steel),aircraft, etc.

Boone