What to do with wrecked tractor?

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #41  
Was the tractor running when it broke in half. If so how long did it run with out oil. I would part it out or take the insurance money. I would not try to fix it. It will turn in to a money pit.
Bill

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #42  
salvage parts will be hard to find since so knew. The tractor is also not worth much salvage right now because of being so new most tractors under 5 years old do not have good salvage value because most repairs or done under warranty. Salvage tractors bring the highest when the model reaches 7-15 years old. The loader is the has the most value pull it off and sell it, it is worth from 3500-4500 alone. Then pull the tires and sell them since they will fit many models. Then sell the tractor buy its self but it really isn't worth no more than 1500 dollars. But if done the way i said you should be able to get around 8500 dollars out of it. I do this kind of stuff for a living that tractor will cost to much to repair and you will always have trouble with it in the future

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #43  
I'd assess the damage in more detail were it mine.

It's easy to inspect the engine lower end and if it shut down quickly it may be fine. Check the oil pump internally to see if it ingested anything and if anything passed the pump. Pulling a bearing cap or two isn't rocket science if in doubt.

Since it's already broken, exploring won't hurt salvage value!

Engines are tough and auto engine blocks survive some horrendous crashes. (I've done my share of auto salvage. Great training!)

There are no mysteries. Inspect with a shop manual in hand. I'd remove the engine and inspect the bottom end for actual wear. No reason at all that impact would crack the head and you can inspect where the pan joins the block. If you aren't familiar, see what an automotive machine shop will get to look it over if you bring it in. Offer cold beer and lunch if they SHOW you what they do.

I'd remove the front crank pulley and check crank runout using a dial indicator. No need to figure that yourself, just put the engine on a pallet and drive it to a machine shop if not familiar.

A blowdown check of the cylinders using a pressure tester will tell you ring and valve condition.

The pan MAY be repairable by a GOOD welder. It doesn't matter if it looks hideous so long as it's strong.

I'd post clear closeup pics in WELDING forums and ask the pros how doable it is. castweld and other folks on weldingweb could advise on price, but realistically a grand for a pan if you don't need much else isn't horrible. Not that many welders are experienced in serious casting repair.

As for the chassis I'd see about modding it to be "steel all the way" instead of using oil pan as structure which is only done to save the manufacturer money. Yes, it's a custom in the tractor world. It's still cheesy. If I have to fix something I own I want that SOB to be tough when it goes back in service.

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #44  
1st and foremost If you had insurance why didn't they cover it?? I would push them to put it in writing.
2nd were are you at? I have rebuilt much worse but it depends on what is broke make a list of every part that needs replace and asked dealer to give bid on parts not next day over night but like on a stock order which may save you some money. At that point you will have the numbers to move forward..

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #46  
Sorry to hear about your tractor, but glad your alright ! I wish you all the luck in making the right choice . Like some of these guys say try and get someone who can fix it if you can't take a look at it first, and give you some idea how much it might run you to put it back in shape. You can always part it out after that if it's going to run into some big money. I know your story is going to be in everyone's mind the next time they get off there tractor and think if they should use the brakes I know I will ! Good luck !

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #47  
I'd find someone who knows what their doing and have that pan welded, put it back on the tractor and see if the engine will is still good, if so then I would take my time (even if it took a year or two and piece it back together.

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #48  
OK TEG and Racekid, I should have said "Two & Through"! I'll fax you a c-note!:laughing:
I didn't see that coming... would have guess he would have listed in the private Sale area... Man that's one costly learning experience! Still glad that he posted those photos :thumbsup:

/ What to do with wrecked tractor? #49  
I have a New Holland TT55 with 222 hrs that rolled down a hill into a tree and broke in two at the oil pan. Hood, radiator, front engine housing all damaged.The front axle, including the support that bolts to oil pan is good.

It had a model 7308 loader that looks ok, even though the bucket is bent.

Trying to figure out what to do. I'd like to recoup as much as I can as insurance didn't cover parking brake failure, only theft, fire, etc.

Parts will cost several thousand as the oil pan alone is $970.00.

I have a salvage offer of $2850. Paid $12,500 for it, a year and half ago.

Should I part it out myself?

Any thoughts on what the best course of action would be appreciated.

Kark77, It's been a couple of months now, do you have an update?