Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Default Re: Magnetic Engine Block Heater

Quote Originally Posted by sailfast View Post
    I an sure that is why every diesel truck that I have drivin has come with the factory option block heater.

use the right oil and starting should not be a problem.

Only when your ideas are encouraging people to do things to damage their equipment.
    well, this will be my last reply on this thread, then im logging off of this particular thread.

You show us....ANY ... data that proves that a stick on heater will damage a diesel engine than ill print a retraction. But you wont find any. I looked into this heavily before i purchased mine. All i found were good reviews.

nite all, and have a Merry Christmas
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

My experience has been to change to a synthetic oil.........Mobil-One or the like. It did wonders for my cranking speed....sans heater............~Scotty

Tractor
    Ford 1720

"I gots to know!"

Why would you heat a sattelite dish? mmmm...
    Ford 1720, Sims cab, FEL, Woods subframe backhoe, Fisher 7' hydro angle plow, Wallenstein 3 pth splitter, 5' blade, 3 pth carry-all, 3 pth ballast

Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158

Oil or lack of oil will destroy a cylinder wall faster than anything . Heating the oil to assist flow is all that i want to do, and is all that needs to be done.
    But won't heating the coolant using a block heater transfer heat into the block itself and also into the oil and oil passages where the flow of cold oil is restricted? Won't heating those oil passages and keeping that oil, the oil which is first to arrive at the critical wear points in the motor, do more to prolong engine life and aide in starting than having a mass of warm oil in the bottom of the pan that won't reach those critical wear points during the first few seconds? The point(s) with the most restriction or friction are all the places that oil is sent to lubricate. These to me seem to be the points that need oil which is in a free flowing state and not thick as sludge.

Tractor
    kubota B26 TLB,former B7610 owner

Twinjay,
    I dont know about the magnetic heaters,never had one.BUT,about a month ago i installed a screw in block heater on my kubota and it really works great.I mean i am impressed.It starts like its summertime and no more of that "cold start diesel" noise.I plug it in for about an hour and what a differance.I dont know what make machine you have but I paid about $40
    for it at my Kubota dealer and it was well worth it.
    As far as the engine oil itself being cold,i dont know myself if the block heaters help much,maybe.But as far as the engine starting,the block heaters do work great.And......I believe that ANY preheating of the engine saves untold wear and tear.I have always thought it would be a good idea,if you lived in an area where
    it was EXTREME cold,to possibly have a small stick on heater on the oilpan also,heating the oil as well.That may be overkill for where i live.But if i lived someplace where it was EXTREME cold,I think i would do that idea too,
    but thats another story.

digger2
    Last edited by digger2; 12-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.
    Kubota B26 TLB
    Ex Wives.....Ahhhh,the memories

Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    "I gots to know!"

just guessing but maybe to help stop any ice or snow buildup which will degrade signal reception.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1100, MF135, MF65

Quote Originally Posted by sparc View Post
    But won't heating the coolant using a block heater transfer heat into the block itself and also into the oil and oil passages where the flow of cold oil is restricted? Won't heating those oil passages and keeping that oil, the oil which is first to arrive at the critical wear points in the motor, do more to prolong engine life and aide in starting than having a mass of warm oil in the bottom of the pan that won't reach those critical wear points during the first few seconds? The point(s) with the most restriction or friction are all the places that oil is sent to lubricate. These to me seem to be the points that need oil which is in a free flowing state and not thick as sludge.
    Using a block heater works so much better and you do not chance scorching your engine oil like the magnetic heaters on an oil pan can. Thats probably why manufacturs do not offer stick on heaters as an option like block heaters.

Well, you want to get serious with the oil you need heated oil and a pre/post Lube oil circulating system.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger View Post
    Using a block heater works so much better and you do not chance scorching your engine oil like the magnetic heaters on an oil pan can. Thats probably why manufacturs do not offer stick on heaters as an option like block heaters.
    I also had heard that they can scorch the oil, but this thread got me investigating a little.

Heres what I found. Audi offers oil heaters as OEM equipment:

Oil Pan Heater - Audi Forum - Audi Forums for the A4, S4, TT, A3, A6 and more!

Image Search Results for audi oil heater

My searches showed that VW uses oil pan heaters also. Along with Piper Cub airplanes.

Personally, I'll stick with the coolant heater.............If I ever get one.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    JD 4410

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    "I gots to know!"

Up here in the great white north it might not be a bad idea, depending on how high up you mounted your dish. Mine is only 10' off the ground so when it gets covered in snow I can tap it with a broom and restore reception. A heater would keep the snow from sticking. 1" of snow accumulation on the dish and no reception.

For the 4 or 5 times a year that you get the right combination of snow and wind to acumulate snow on the dish though I couldn't justify the expense of heating my dish. The grey paint does a good enough job once the sun comes back out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast