Magnetic Engine Block Heater

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #51  
I have a satt dish and live in a snowbelt. Never had a problem. Not that grsthegreat hasn't, but it seems like overkill to me. I guess I am glad I don't need it.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #52  
I have had a glue on heater on a 01 7.3 since new. No issues with it. I also have the stock coolant heater and added battery warmers to both batteries. I also have seriously considered an Espar system. You see when I have to go I have to go. There are thousand of guys using the glue ons for Sat dishs, the Sat guys push this to people

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #53  
i use a electric space heater on my kubota b7800. i put it on a stand next to the tractor engine on the same side as a block heater would screw into, about 6 inches away from the engine, close the hood and wait for about 2 hours. even at 15*f degrees it starts like it was a hot summer day. no smoke, no sputtering. warms the entire engine block, hoses, filters, everything, and i don't have to worry about any modifications to the engine or stick ons falling off. i had a bad experience with magnectic block heaters. i too belive they are junk.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #54  
I also had heard that they can scorch the oil, but this thread got me investigating a little.

My searches showed that VW uses oil pan heaters also. Along with Piper Cub airplanes.

Personally, I'll stick with the coolant heater.............If I ever get one.

You do realize that those VW & all Piper Cub engines are air cooled - right? MikeD74T

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #55  
Dannocheese, I never realized satt dishes could be such a problem. I learn something new each day and will consider myself lucky that ours dosen't need a heater.
I quess we don't get as much snow as the others...

Actually...Snow? where is it?

Last edited:
   / Magnetic Engine Block Heater #56  
Actually...Snow? where is it?

These are Bostons stats from yesterday's Chan 7 weather report, but I found them interesting:

So far in Boston, we've had an inch of snow in October (with the Halloween storm) and a trace several times November and December. But the latest we've gone without...

2" snow was on 2/16/80

4" snow was on 4/3/1915

6" snow was on 4/1/97

In addition, 1972-73 (when I was but a wee lad) NEVER saw a snowfall of more than 2" ALL WINTER!

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #57  
I also had heard that they can scorch the oil, but this thread got me investigating a little.

Heres what I found. Audi offers oil heaters as OEM equipment:

Oil Pan Heater - Audi Forum - Audi Forums for the A4, S4, TT, A3, A6 and more!

Image Search Results for audi oil heater

My searches showed that VW uses oil pan heaters also. Along with Piper Cub airplanes.

Personally, I'll stick with the coolant heater.............If I ever get one.

The reason they use oil pan heaters is the engines are air cooled, just like a lawn mower. No coolant to heat up.

Chris

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #58  
You do realize that those VW & all Piper Cub engines are air cooled - right? MikeD74T
That would be why they use oil coolers.

This was just as a frame of reference, my friend(to clarify that oil coolers may work).

Audi, I believe is all water cooled though.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #59  
I just ordered a Wolverine 500W heater on eBay for $48, we'll see. My first choice would have been a freeze plug heater, but I just want something easy to install right now. The loader frame on the tractor in question makes everything to do with the engine extra hard to do.

/ Magnetic Engine Block Heater #60  
That would be why they use oil coolers.

This was just as a frame of reference, my friend(to clarify that oil coolers may work).

Audi, I believe is all water cooled though.

99% of aircraft engines are air cooled and that is mainly due to weight.
Block heaters are often used to heat the oil pan or sump however FAA blessing (called an STC) is needed unless the heater device is removed prior to each flight.
Most AC would normally be preheated using an external heating device such as a Herman Nelson or some sort of salamander.
Some pilots are known to direct a vehicle exhaust to preheat.
On aircraft heating is mainly to thin the oil viscosity.

Not generally common knowledge is the fact that in cold damp conditions spark plugs can frost over as the engine compresses cold damp air.
Naturally with frost in the plug gap it wont spark.
For that reason in arctic climates many pilots bring the plugs inside overnight.
It has been known for pilots to hug their plugs inside of their sleeping bags as well.