what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
saw a set of jump cables at an auto parts store today. labeled as 'Heavy duty'.. then under that it said 8GA .

yeahright...

soundguy

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #2  
saw a set of jump cables at an auto parts store today. labeled as 'Heavy duty'.. then under that it said 8GA .

yeahright...

soundguy

I had to smile at your remark as i have thought the exact same thing. Mine are made with the stinger grade rubber cord for welding. I did have a hard time getting heavyduty ends for them...I needed them to jump start that old 6.2 chevy pu...800 to 1000 amp ..

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #3  
I am like you guys I like my jumper cables to be made from heavy cable. But if you think about it when we hook the clamps up to the battery how much contact area do we have. On the old top post you could get a realy good conection but on todays side post batteries its a different story.
Bill

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)
some cable clamps actually have nippers for side posts. not reat but better than not.. etc..

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #5  
I had to smile at your remark as i have thought the exact same thing. Mine are made with the stinger grade rubber cord for welding. I did have a hard time getting heavyduty ends for them...I needed them to jump start that old 6.2 chevy pu...800 to 1000 amp ..

You can use welder ground clamps for heavy duty ends

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #6  
I am like you guys I like my jumper cables to be made from heavy cable. But if you think about it when we hook the clamps up to the battery how much contact area do we have. On the old top post you could get a realy good conection but on todays side post batteries its a different story.
Bill

Which is what spawned the places for the "ground" and "+" areas in other places on the engine. Plus they are safer to use than the side posts of a battery (YES, I had one explode in my face) due to a side post already having been broken by somebody overtightening it. Lady with her hood up in a grocery store asked me if I had jumper cables, which I did, so I went over to give her dead car battery a jump. When I hooked the ground up, the broken terminal arc'd inside the battery and blew the top off of it, right in my face. I closed my eyes and reached over and grabbed her by the arm and told her to take me inside the store to the nearest sink, preferably a deep sink. We were lead into the deli to a sink where I washed my eyes for 15 minutes, nonstop. I had them call my wife (who worked for an eye surgeon) and she arrived before I quit rinsing my eyes (they are my only pair!!) She took me back to the office for a quick "looksee" and everything was ok.
It really is a good idea to find a better place to hook jumper cables, than actually on the battery terminals. An accident involving your eyes could fall under the "serious accident" catagory...
David from jax

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #7  
I believe that the current recommendation is to connect the receiving car's battery first, then the positive on your car then ground the - clamp to a body part, not the battery. If there is a spark, it will be away from the battery.

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #8  
Here's a pair I made from #2 welding cable maybe 15 to 20 feet long.
The ends are clamped down and soldered with big electric soldering pistol. Made them longer also to jump off vehicles from afar in case I have to.Like in parking lots etc.
I have sat and watched people trying to jump start their vehicles with some of those junky skinny wires they sell as jumper cables to no avail. Have come afterwards and told them "you done playing,here lets hook these up and start your car ". Put them on BINGO, fired rite up.

Boone

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 259
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 261
   / what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #9  
They are heavy duty. You just assumed that they were heavy duty for starting a car or truck. They are heavy duty garden tractor jumper cables. :laughing:

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #10  
Sadly the "heavy duty" BS in not limited to cables. Kind of funny but sad :( that they advertise/sell things that are called heavy duty and yet there is only one kind, so no light or medium duty.