Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment

/ Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment #1  

jrod2423

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65
Ok so me and my father f]have this Massey that we are starting to fix back up in running condition. So we have changed all plugs, wires, distibutor cap, and contacts. nothing so then we took everything apart to find that we had 3 stuck valves 3 broken/bent push rods and only one cylinder had free valves and both rods. so we took it the rest of the way apart and had the head refinished and got new valves and push rods. now we are putting everything back together and we've got the head on and the valve and rod pusher on but we need to know what the cold valve gap should be?

We've searched the owners manual and the internet and this looked like the most promising site so in hopes somebody here knows something what is the cold valve gap for a Massey 65 with the 4 cylinder Continental gasoline engine?

Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment #2  
Hi , work your way to .016 on intake hot and .018 on exhaust hot ,this info will be stamped on your tag right under the spark plugs if you still have it.

/ Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment
Nope no tags thats why we are asking, and also what would the gaps be cold?

/ Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment #4  
Ok so me and my father f]have this Massey that we are starting to fix back up in running condition. So we have changed all plugs, wires, distibutor cap, and contacts. nothing so then we took everything apart to find that we had 3 stuck valves 3 broken/bent push rods and only one cylinder had free valves and both rods. so we took it the rest of the way apart and had the head refinished and got new valves and push rods. now we are putting everything back together and we've got the head on and the valve and rod pusher on but we need to know what the cold valve gap should be?

We've searched the owners manual and the internet and this looked like the most promising site so in hopes somebody here knows something what is the cold valve gap for a Massey 65 with the 4 cylinder Continental gasoline engine?

Thanks

The Continental engines have a data plate on the left side of the engine where the block and head join between #2 and #3 cylinders. The valve lash spec are on that data plate.

/ Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment #5  
Never had to set my 65 ,but had a mustang with solid lifters and set them loose and rattling until it reached operating temp. , then set them individually.You can bump the starter ,or put a breaker bar on crank, "very tight fit" or engage pto and put a pipe wrench on it.

/ Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment
ok thanks guys i'll have take a look and see what i can find maybe there is a plate we aren't seeing.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 65 Valve adjustment #7  
Your valve lash with engine HOT is .016 for Intake and .018 for exhaust. With the engine cold lash will be .001 to .003 tighter, but do not set lash when cold and leave it.
Set it at .016 I & .018 E, start the engine and run till at operating temp then re-adjust them.
Setting valve lash....bump engine over until rocker arms on cyclinder #1 are as follows, exhaust is closing and intake is opening (both at same time ). At this point adjust both valves on cyclinder #4,
Bump till #3 are rocking, adjust #2 valves
Bump till #4 are rocking, adjust #1 valves
Bump till #2 are rocking, adjust #3 valves
Tighten adjuster until there is a "snug" drag on feeler gauge, then tighten lock nut and recheck lash. Keep at it till it is correct.
It is really quit simple but very important that lash is correct. If it is too tight you could have a piston contact a valve bending it or too loose and be hard to start, noisy, a push rod jump out of place resulting in the piston hitting a valve and bending it.

Last edited: