CASE IH 275 4x4 Front Wheel Problems

/ CASE IH 275 4x4 Front Wheel Problems #1  

umichsteve

Tractor
Case 175 with FEL
First time forum user....long time reader!!

I must admit, I've really enjoyed reading all the forums and learning alot about do's and don'ts from all of you!! sometimes you truly have me ROTFLMAO!!:thumbsup:

However, now I need some assistance from you TractorByNet Guru's!!

I have a Case IH 275 4x4 that recently after taking it through it's routine workout (moving some rocks with the frontend loader) I noticed that the front left wheel was toed in and leaking from underneath.

I don't recall hitting anything and would have surely noticed it previously while putting it away.

Can anyone assist as to what I might have done??
Can I use it in 2w drive?
I'm under the old school philosophy....get it fixed before you tear it up more.

Any assistance you could lend would be really appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Steve
Tire Toed in on 4x4.JPG
Tire Toed in on 4x4.JPG

Attachments

• Leaking from front assembly.JPG
    Leaking from front assembly.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 348
   / CASE IH 275 4x4 Front Wheel Problems #2  
Even with the pics, it's hard to tell what you might have done. Obviously, there's a seal leaking now that needs attention. Messicks has an excellent website that gives parts diagrams 275 CASE IH TRACTOR (1/88-12/88) and can give you a good idea of what the internals look like if you don't have a repair manual. Look at Steering- Final drive 5-20. I think you need to do some disassembly and investigate for damage. Looks like most the drive parts are still available and Messicks are great to deal with but whoever you decide to buy from, the main thing is that parts can still be had.

I wouldn't suggest continuing on using the machine in 2WD, especially doing FEL work and not knowing the extent of damage.

/ CASE IH 275 4x4 Front Wheel Problems #3  
G'day and welcome:thumbsup:, I think you have done a wheel brg it is a bit hard to tell from the pics but the first thing to do is to lift up the front end and see if you have got and if you have where any movement. I would not use it in 2wd as that oil may be out of the wheel hub and it is still running around even though you are in 2wd (not nice without any lube!!). If you had to move it a short distance ( up to a couple hundred yards) to get intoa workshop that may be ok but as i said before hard to tell whats wrong from pics, definately need investigating before moving it though.

Jon

Last edited:
   / CASE IH 275 4x4 Front Wheel Problems
Thanks Kernopelli & banjodunn!!

I really appreciate the feedback on my "situation". I'll check out the website you mentioned and hopefully move towards a quick repair.

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays!!

Steve:thumbsup: