How'd I do?

/ How'd I do? #1  

Jim Jimmers

Tractor
John Deere 5055E
So I got the first 100 hours out of the way, :newhere: time to change the hydraulic filter. :licking: My oil filter wrenches were both too small for the filter, so I ran two loops of Romex around it, twisted it tight, and ran it through a short length of pipe for leverage. Came right off! :) I'm sure this has happened to you guys before, is there another way to do this? (Besides buying the right size wrench, of course :ashamed: )

/ How'd I do? #2  
Jim, if it works it is a good method. What I have done on filters that are to take off is hammer a big screwdriver through them and use it for leverage.

/ How'd I do? #3  
So I got the first 100 hours out of the way, :newhere: time to change the hydraulic filter. :licking: My oil filter wrenches were both too small for the filter, so I ran two loops of Romex around it, twisted it tight, and ran it through a short length of pipe for leverage. Came right off! :) I'm sure this has happened to you guys before, is there another way to do this? (Besides buying the right size wrench, of course :ashamed: )
Sounds like a good idea to keep in the back of my mind. I have used a belt in somewhat the same way except I could only use one hand as the other was holding my pants up.
A. Metcalf

/ How'd I do? #4  
A strap wrench works pretty good. That is about what you made. Ridgid makes several sizes.

/ How'd I do?
Sounds like a good idea to keep in the back of my mind. I have used a belt in somewhat the same way except I could only use one hand as the other was holding my pants up.
A. Metcalf

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ How'd I do? #6  

buy or make a oil filter strap wrench.

2' of old seatbelt and a 3/4" square piece of tubing 6-8" long should make a wrench that fits a 1/2" drive ratchet.. cut a slit into one lower edge for the seatbelting.. or old ratchet strapping.. I sugges 2" or 3" if re-suing old strapping...

soundguy

/ How'd I do?
buy or make a oil filter strap wrench.

2' of old seatbelt and a 3/4" square piece of tubing 6-8" long should make a wrench that fits a 1/2" drive ratchet.. cut a slit into one lower edge for the seatbelting.. or old ratchet strapping.. I sugges 2" or 3" if re-suing old strapping...

soundguy

Excellent idea! Thanks to everyone who responded. I have a piece of ratchet strapping that should do the job. (The only unused seatbelt I have is the one Deere sent with the tractor :p )

/ How'd I do? #8  
have fun!