Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Tractor
    John Deere 5055E

    Default How'd I do?

    So I got the first 100 hours out of the way, time to change the hydraulic filter. My oil filter wrenches were both too small for the filter, so I ran two loops of Romex around it, twisted it tight, and ran it through a short length of pipe for leverage. Came right off! I'm sure this has happened to you guys before, is there another way to do this? (Besides buying the right size wrench, of course )

  2. #2
    Elite Member Bob77064's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,972
    Location
    KY @ TN line
    Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    Jim, if it works it is a good method. What I have done on filters that are to take off is hammer a big screwdriver through them and use it for leverage.

  3. #3
    Silver Member ametcalf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    162
    Location
    Central KY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jimmers View Post
    So I got the first 100 hours out of the way, time to change the hydraulic filter. My oil filter wrenches were both too small for the filter, so I ran two loops of Romex around it, twisted it tight, and ran it through a short length of pipe for leverage. Came right off! I'm sure this has happened to you guys before, is there another way to do this? (Besides buying the right size wrench, of course )
    Sounds like a good idea to keep in the back of my mind. I have used a belt in somewhat the same way except I could only use one hand as the other was holding my pants up.
    A. Metcalf
    ametcalf
    All I need to be a better mechanic is a bigger hammer.
    2004 BX23, 72" Landpride finish mower, 48" Howse tiller, Home made brush forks, grapple, and plywood skidplate.
    Allis Chalmers 5040, 6 Bushhog, Boom pole, PHD, Box Grader, Rear Blade, 2 bottom plow
    2000 Crewcab Super Duty F250 Powerstroke Diesel 260k miles

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    314
    Location
    SE Louisiana

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    A strap wrench works pretty good. That is about what you made. Ridgid makes several sizes.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Tractor
    John Deere 5055E

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by ametcalf View Post
    Sounds like a good idea to keep in the back of my mind. I have used a belt in somewhat the same way except I could only use one hand as the other was holding my pants up.
    A. Metcalf

  6. #6
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,332
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jimmers View Post
    So I got the first 100 hours out of the way, time to change the hydraulic filter. My oil filter wrenches were both too small for the filter, so I ran two loops of Romex around it, twisted it tight, and ran it through a short length of pipe for leverage. Came right off! I'm sure this has happened to you guys before, is there another way to do this? (Besides buying the right size wrench, of course )
    buy or make a oil filter strap wrench.

    2' of old seatbelt and a 3/4" square piece of tubing 6-8" long should make a wrench that fits a 1/2" drive ratchet.. cut a slit into one lower edge for the seatbelting.. or old ratchet strapping.. I sugges 2" or 3" if re-suing old strapping...

    soundguy

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Tractor
    John Deere 5055E

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    buy or make a oil filter strap wrench.

    2' of old seatbelt and a 3/4" square piece of tubing 6-8" long should make a wrench that fits a 1/2" drive ratchet.. cut a slit into one lower edge for the seatbelting.. or old ratchet strapping.. I sugges 2" or 3" if re-suing old strapping...

    soundguy
    Excellent idea! Thanks to everyone who responded. I have a piece of ratchet strapping that should do the job. (The only unused seatbelt I have is the one Deere sent with the tractor )

  8. #8
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,332
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: How'd I do?

    have fun!

Similar Threads

  1. New 1528 arrives tomorrow. How'd I do?
    By kb2tha in forum Massey Ferguson Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 01:06 PM
  2. auction buy - howd I do?
    By PA hayseed in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
  3. JD 4120 ordered: How'd I do?
    By woodstick in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 09:46 AM
  4. HOW'D I DO?....NH 1520 PURCHASED USED.
    By kbm3 in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 11:05 PM
  5. Bought a Used BX2200 -- How'd I Do?
    By verberm in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.