pressure washer not generating pressure

/ pressure washer not generating pressure #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
My Northern pressure (6hp honda engine) is not generating any pressure. Last winter I had an accident and was out of commission for 6 months, so this washer sat outside all winter at my farm because I was not able to put things away. I did not winterize it and since I used it in the Fall and did not expect to leave it out. Weather here gets below freezing some but not much below 25 degrees occasionally.

Surprisingly, it started right up so I was hopeful. But it does not develop pressure, or at least not normal pressure. I realize I can just buy a new pump for a couple hundred bucks, but before I do that, should I try to break it down and see if it can be repaired? I assume the pump is all it could be causing this. Thanks for any advice.

/ pressure washer not generating pressure #2  
Take out relief valve to see if it is gunked up. Some pumps are relatively simple. Three rods wobbling about acting as pistons, some check valves and the pressure regulator. That said I messed with my old pump that was not working well. Blew out a seal when the pressure relief valve was not relieving. I got a new pump that actually has a warranty and parts from a local pressure washer repair shop. It works great. I did get some good money at the recycle center for all that brass from the old pump. Enough to pay for my fuel to get to and from the repair center.

/ pressure washer not generating pressure #4  
Check the parts list for what I believe they call an 'unloader-valve'. They are plastic, and I really think they're the 'freeze-protection'. I've froze/broke a couple in my Craftsman over the years. I was not happy, but it was a relitively reasonable fix........~Scotty

/ pressure washer not generating pressure #5  
Check the parts list for what I believe they call an 'unloader-valve'. They are plastic, and I really think they're the 'freeze-protection'. I've froze/broke a couple in my Craftsman over the years. I was not happy, but it was a relitively reasonable fix........~Scotty

Unloader valves are frequently the problem when the pump has no/ or low pressure. Another problem could be debris in any of the pump's intake or exhaust valves. Seldom does the pump completely fail unless it is one of the homeowner El-cheapo models.

Jim

/ pressure washer not generating pressure #6  
Last edited:
   / pressure washer not generating pressure #7  
Some things I have found when mine would not work. Some seals were bad, cost less then 25cents to fix. Air in the main hose going to the pump. Kinked line, main hose again. If you have mechanical skills you should atleast be able to find the issue, it may be simple and cheap or expensive?? I think it would be atleast worth checking into before kicking it to the curb.