Washing out rear/Tranny

/ Washing out rear/Tranny #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have an Iseki TS 2205 and have water in my Rear/Tranny. I am going to drain it this weekend and replace it with 90 weight gear oil.

I was wondering if it would hurt to drain the oil then fill the rear/tranny housing with deisel fuel and then drain it again.

I want to be sure I get all the water I can out. I would even jack up the rear and by hand turn the real wheel to male sure I get deisel fuel in the real seals and bearings to wash them out.

When I owned an old John Deere A the mechanic told me to wash out my crankcase with deisel fuel one time when I had a bad knock. And it worked. The deisel fuel will lubercate but is fine enough to get into the smallest crack.

I am wondering if it would help to get the water out of all the seals and bearings.

Don Worrell

/ Washing out rear/Tranny #2  
Don, If you have any hydraulics on the tractor the trans/ differential is the reservor and you need trans/hydraulic fluid <font color="red"> not gear SAE 80/90 </font> . My Iseki has 3 drain plugs, one on the bottom of the transmission and one on each rear axle housing tight to the differential case. On one side I've never been able to get that plug out. Make sure you have a perfect sized wrench on the plug head and don't push (or 'pull') your luck. WD-40 or PB Blaster can only do so much if long time aluminum corrosion has set in. If it is frozen/corroded in there, twisting off the drain plug could be a disaster. There has to be only a small amount of fluid trapped there and I jacked the tractor up on that side to mobilize some of it. The diesel flush is a good idea. I added 4 pints of isopropyl alcohol (that is used to soak up water in the fuel) to the transmission, ran it around for 2-3 minutes to mix it and then drained it, then flushed it with diesel. Get ready to catch 6- 8 gallons at once! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif There may be a small amount trapped in any hydraulic lines if you any. If no hydraulics still drop the 3 point hitch all the way down to empty that internal cylinder.

/ Washing out rear/Tranny
My nortrac 254 uses 30 weight nondetergent in the transmission and front and rear ends,hydrolic oil for the lift and for the power steering. RICHARD GAUTHIER