Long Term Battery Storage

/ Long Term Battery Storage #1  

Henry

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I don't use my Tractor during the winter months and would like recommendations for long term storage of the battery. In past years, I've removed the battery and stored it in a heated garage. Are there battery chargers (trickle) available that I can leave connected to the battery so that the charge is maintained?

Thanks,
Henry

/ Long Term Battery Storage #2  
Hi Henry, have you had trouble starting the tractor in the spring using your current practice? If not, why change? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Being in Central PA as well, I let my faithful Wheel Horse tractor sit outside all winter (no place to store it), with the battery in it. Started up fine.

/ Long Term Battery Storage
Hi Mike, The reason I'm asking for advise, is just a concern that the lengthy down-time for the battery isn't good for it. Maybe this is a bad assumption.....

Didn't your battery freeze? We had a pretty cold winter this year in Central, PA (Huntingdon, County)!

Henry

/ Long Term Battery Storage #4  
Nope, didn't freeze. Didn't even have StaBil in the tank or pour in fresh gas. Had to crank it for a while, though.

/ Long Term Battery Storage #5  
If you've got a strong battery, you could probably get through the winter without doing anything depending on where you live and how the tractor is stored. If you want an older battery to survive, Walmart sells a small charger that can be mounted near the battery permanently that you can hook an extension cord to and run.

I've got several batteries, I've charged on and off during this winter. The age of the battery does make a difference. Diesels need to be spun fast to compress and heat the fuel. I think a weak battery that might get by with a gas engine wouldn't make it in a diesel application.

The best chargers are the ones that use high frequency pulses to desuphide the battery. Supposedly they can extend the battery life.

/ Long Term Battery Storage #6  
Henry, I just bought a battery mat from these folks. They also sell a Deltran Battery Tender. Looks like it's what you need.

del-021-0128.jpg

/ Long Term Battery Storage #7  
Henry,

Darren's suggestion about the charger from Wal Mart is a good one.

I bought one several years ago that I mounted on a riding lawnmower. It has two wires that run permanently to the battery terminals and a short plug you plug an extension cord to. It has a charging light (if I remember correctly) that comes on when the battery is fully charged. It's fully automatic so there's no danger of overcharging. It's a pretty neat setup and you can mount it anywhere on the tractor.

Unfortunately I gave the rider to my son and forgot to retrieve my charger /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Long Term Battery Storage
Thanks for all the advise! I'll try Wal-Mart and see what they've got /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Long Term Battery Storage #9  
Hi Henry,
I've been told on several occasions that a battery won't freeze until the the charge gets low. I had 3 batteries in our last motor home and one of them developed severe corrosion on the terminals, and eventually lost its charge. Then when we got down below 0 for a week, the fluid froze and swelled up the battery until it looked like it was going to burst the case. The other 2 batteries held a good charge and were just fine. Keeping a trickle charge on it will keep it from freezing and as a bonus will whip that engine right over in the spring. One little bit of advice, don't get the cheapest charger you find, get one that will "cycle" the battery charge. That will have less tendancy to oxidize the plates.

(PS. If you take the battery out of the tractor, don't store it on concrete, if you have to put it on the floor set it up on a plank or a piece of non conductive material.)

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.