Help! Getting off some "super" grease.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
Not sure where to post this question, but hopefully this is OK. I did some work in the gearbox on an old hay rake. It is full of very thick, black, heavy grease. I didn't think much about putting my hands in it, that is, until I tried to wash it off! I do a lot of mechanic work and have washed off a lot of grease, but this stuff is different. I manged to get it off my hands with a washrag, LOTS of dishwashing liquid, and lots of scrubbing, but now there's some in the laundry sink where I wash and I can't get it off.

Does anyone know of any "super" degreasers? I can't seem to find anything that will take it off. All the stuff will do is smear around. I've seen dishwashing liquid take off grease that engine degreaser won't touch, but even that won't get it.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #2  
IMO, and I do a lot of mechanical work too, dishwashing liquid sucks for trying to wash hands or grease off of something.

Need to get you a good hand cleaner like they sell at NAPA or anywhere. The good stuff with the grit in it.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #3  
Try Easy Off oven cleaner on grease areas...work for me couple times.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #4  
I have found wd40 is really great.You need to be careful not to use something that's so strong it will burn your skin off.
Dawn dish soap works great.
Army Grunt

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #5  
I use mineral spirits then rewash with Dawn dishsoap.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #6  
In my opinion, laundry detergent is a little stronger/better than dish detergent. I usually start with WD40.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #7  
I like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SuperClean-Inc-101780-Cleaner-Degreaser/dp/B0039ZBLEC/ref=pd_sim_auto_1"]Castrol Super Clean[/ame]. It can be bought at any box store or auto parts store. There are many generic purple cleaners that work just as good, but are cheaper. They sell a good substitute at Walmart and also AutoZone.:thumbsup:

BTW: The Super Clean is for cleaning your sink. It also works good as a tough degreaser on engines, but it will dull paint if left on too long before you rinse off. Use it full-strength on grease and then thin with 50-50 water for a good all-purpose cleaner. You can use it on your hands, but waterless hand cleaners like Go-jo work better on skin in my opinion.

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease.
Been at work today and just read all the replies. Thanks everyone for all the help! WD-40...hmm, never even thought of it. I'll also check out the Castrol super clean - sounds like a good product.

I'll give the suggestions a try and see what comes of it.

Thanks again!

/ Help! Getting off some "super" grease. #9  
I use new diesel engine oil to remove the stains from my hands then wash with orange hand cleaner. Clean engine oil will remove most any oil base stain from your 101 body parts..