Fluid change - what about loader cylinders ect

/ Fluid change - what about loader cylinders ect #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I'm about to change the hydro fluid on my B8200. Before I had the loader, it seemed fine, just draining the fluid. But, with the loader, hoses, and tip/tilt cylinders, how do you get the old fluid flushed from them? Or, does that volume of old fluid make any difference in the overall fluid/filter change?

The fluid is clear and clean, but by the hours it is time for a scheduled change. The fact the fluid appears clean is a good thing, since it is filtering properly and all.

What do you do?

/ Fluid change - what about loader cylinders ect #2  
RobertN,

When I change out the hydraulic fluid all I do is actually just retract everything on the unit all cylinders in with as little chrome showing and then change oil. I figure the little amount in there isn't much anyway compared to the whole system. I am sure the real real right way is to remove the hoses and drain but WOW... With the little hours these compacts have they don't ruin oil anyway unless it gets contaminated by something or some malfunction. But if we are wrong someone here will know and chime in.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darin

/ Fluid change - what about loader cylinders ect #3  
I agree with Darin; retract the cylinders, change oil and no worry about the small amount that was left in the cylinders and hoses.

/ Fluid change - what about loader cylinders ect #4  
My quick answer is I agree with what they said. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THAT said, when I changed my fluid, it dawned on me that retracted, or extended, I had fluid on both sides of my piston (inside cylinder), so, but for the volume taken up by the rod when compressed, I figured it would be a non-event. (ie, rod out, 1 side full of oil, rod IN, "other" side of oil, yet 'less' oil because of the rod displacing oil on "that" side of the cylinder) Got it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soooooooo.. as an experiment, I RAISED the loader and backhoe up, drain all fluid, THEN LOWERED them via gravity so that as they lowered, they would not be filled on the "other" side by oil, but air (since no oil in the tank to pickup).. and by doing it THAT way, I might get more oil out.

Well, lemme tell ya... I was never quite comfortable with that 96" bucket stuck up in the air just waiting to be let down but I DO think I squeezed a few more ounces of oil out.

Next time, I'll do it as perscribed above (via Bird)

(not suggesting you do what I did, it just seemed to me that I could extract more oil out by doing it that way)

Richard

/ Fluid change - what about loader cylinders ect #5  
With hydraulic systems complete fluid replacement is not really needed (unless there is a problem with debris, water, etc.).

More complete fluid replacement is required with engines due to the amount of contamination that is introduced by the by-products of combustion. Hydraulic systems however are essentially sealed.

Also... with most all fluid replacements, the key is not really only to change the fluid, but to replenish the "additive package". These are the additives to the oil base stock that enable the oil to do what it is needed to do (prevent rust, lubricate without foaming, stay liquid in cold temperatures, "soak up" ash, etc.).