8n only runs with full choke

/ 8n only runs with full choke #1  

fibrostic

I have an 8n that was running a little rough and needed to have the choke out to run smooth. I thought it was a carb issue, so I bought a replacement and replaced it, still pretty much doing the same thing, that requires it to almost be full choked to run. Is this a gas mix issue? I have tried to alter the fuel mixture screws but not getting anything that seems to work, ideas? Could this be a points issue? I put new wires on as one had a small cut, but cant imagine that is doing anything.

/ 8n only runs with full choke #2  
9 times out of 10 when I have seen this in boats and out door power equipment its bad gas or more commonly water in the fuel. I would drain everything, including the carb bowl and start off with fresh fuel after a rinse of the tank.

I would replace that wire no matter what. Electrical tape for the time being.

Chris

/ 8n only runs with full choke #3  
I find that most often when an engine will only run with choke, the jets on the carb are plugged. Find where the jets are, and open it up so you can get to them. Then take a thin piee of wire and poke it through the jet to knock out any junk in there. Rinse it with carb cleaner, put back together, and it should be good to go.

/ 8n only runs with full choke #4  
I'll go with Deerman 75.:thumbsup:

if you changed the wires check the firing order and the wires.

/ 8n only runs with full choke #5  
Like Diamondpilot stated I would start with your fuel. It seems you are starving for gas or clean gas. You may have aready checked your tank and sedlment bowl but on my old tractors sometimes it is tank that has years of accumilated stuff and sometimes a very fine rust that can slow the flow.

/ 8n only runs with full choke
So i guess i should have given more info. I have drained the tank, replaced the line prior to bolting on the new carb.

/ 8n only runs with full choke #7  
Sounds like a intake leak might be the culprit here.

/ 8n only runs with full choke #8  
You need to start eliminating causes. If you replaced and clean the tank and have fresh fuel and satisfied with that, move on to the carburator, depending on the where the replacement came from how confidant are you that it is clean? Then move on to the adjustments and then check the linkage to make sure it is not binding, then check the governor linkage, it maybe sticking/worn out, make sure all the adjustments on the carb are back to factory if they are out it will never run right. If that is good check for intake leaks. I am pretty sure it is combination carburetor adjustment/governor.

My two cents

/ 8n only runs with full choke #9  
With the engine running rough, spray carb cleaner around the gasket between intake and cyclinder head. If the gasket is leaking your engine will run better when the cleaner is being sucked in. I have had to replace many of intake - exhaust gaskets on N series Fords over the years.

/ 8n only runs with full choke #10  
New carb? How was float level set. How were the fuel jets set? :thumbsup: