MF 50 antifreeze leak

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #1  

jjaaam

Tractor
John Deere 1020
Hello all,

First post...thanks in advance to anyone/everyone for their help!

I'm a bit of a tractor idiot, so please bear with me...

I bought an old MF-50 last spring. So far I have started it up twice this winter (Michigan) with no problems. Last time was about two weeks ago.

Just today I noticed a puddle of antifreeze on the garage floor.

OK...stupid question time...

How could something (hose, pump, etc.) freeze and crack if the "antifreeze" itself is not frozen?

Should I look for a pump problem or a hose leak?

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jerry

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #2  
More than likely just leaking from the hose from contraction in the cold, that is if it is small puddle

My dad has two (MF 50) and he keeps the radiator cap loose otherwise it would leak never could figure out why he pressure tested the radiator and would not leak or loose pressurization, just one of those things.

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak
That would be nice if that was the case...

It's not a huge puddle...maybe taking up a square foot or so on the floor.

So I should leave the cap off? That helped?

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #4  
Hello all,

I bought an old MF-50 last spring. So far I have started it up twice this winter (Michigan) with no problems. Last time was about two weeks ago.

How could something (hose, pump, etc.) freeze and crack if the "antifreeze" itself is not frozen?

Thanks!!

Jerry

It most likly is a hose leaking, check tightness of your hose clamps. You could have coolant leaking from the weep hole behind the water pump pulley or a soft plug rusting through. You may have to pressure test your cooling system to find the leak if you can find no trace while looking.

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #5  
Hello all,

Thanks!!

Jerry

Try to find the location of the leak. Most likely it's from a leaking seal on the water pump, a loose hose clamp, leaky radiator, etc. it should be obvious where it's coming fro. When you determine that, then you'll know needs fixing.

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #6  
He leaves the cap on just not turned to create pressure

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #7  
I have a MF-50 and need to take off the radiator and not sure how. need help. Have a leak and need to take off the radiator. Thanks Freddie

/ MF 50 antifreeze leak #8  
both sides of body and front clip all bolt to radiator. hard line from oil bath air cleaner to carb has to go. also a small metal rod for support on top of radiator comes off with cotter pins. this was for a gasoline continental engine model.