Oil leaking into hydraulic reservoir?

/ Oil leaking into hydraulic reservoir? #1  

docdawg1

Tractor
1975 Ford 3000
Just got a 1975 Ford 3000 and have been having a leak in engine oil. The actual oil leak was discovered because of oil build up under the tractor in the rear below the hydraulic tank. The hydraulic tank was full of oil. After replacing the oil in the engine tank you could actually see rise of liquid in the hydraulic tank. Totally drained to hydraulic tank and replenished. Still losing oil in the engine and getting into hydraulic tank. What could be causing this? Tractor is an 8 speed diesel engine.
Thanks for any replies.

/ Oil leaking into hydraulic reservoir? #2  
Some pictures would be a big help, of where you are adding oil to the engine "tank".

I'm thinking on my 2000, the oil 'pan" full level is way lower, than the hyd. oil level is.

And even at that, it would need to flow up out of the oil pan, through the hollow torque tube, then through the transmission, to get to the hyd. res, in the rear end.

I've attached a picture of the engine valve cover on a Ford 3000 diesel. Part #23, is the engine oil fill cap. Let's make sure you are adding the engine oil, where you are supposed to.

Attachments

• Ford 3000 diesel valve cover.gif
    Ford 3000 diesel valve cover.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 932
   / Oil leaking into hydraulic reservoir? #3  
if you are truly transfering crankcase oil to the hyds, then that would almost have to be at the pump.. perhaps a shaft seal..

trnas is seperate from the common rear/hyds sump.. etc. so.. there simply aren't many routes for crankcase oil to get to the rear end..

soundguy