John Deere 2305 Will not stay running

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #1  

Randy K

Tractor
2008 JD 2305
I have a 2008 JD 2305 With loader. Awsome little tractor. Recently it has not wanted to stay running. It has done this several times and cleared itself up until now. It starts and then dies just as quick. I have changed filter, checked fuel flow, checked saftey switces that I can think of. I have replaced the solenoid on the injector pump and still no change. If I remove the solenoid the tractor will run. $218.00 later im stumped. Any suqestions?

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #2  
Sounds like a bad safety switch.

Don't just check them, bypass each one til you find the faulty one. Then replace it.

Maybe I should elaborate, checking a switch under 'non-operating' conditions can be tricky because the vibration from a running diesel engine changes things.

Although as a side note.......check the fuel tank for bugs. Bugs(spiders and such), got into the fuel tank on my old Cub Cadet and caused me lots of headaches.

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #3  
give us more details (exact ie - you in the seat, not in the seat etc)..

It could also be the ground cable is loose..

brian

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running
Sounds like a bad safety switch.

Don't just check them, bypass each one til you find the faulty one. Then replace it.

Maybe I should elaborate, checking a switch under 'non-operating' conditions can be tricky because the vibration from a running diesel engine changes things.

Although as a side note.......check the fuel tank for bugs. Bugs(spiders and such), got into the fuel tank on my old Cub Cadet and caused me lots of headaches.
Thanks Don I think your right. The solenoid unhooked from the injector pump the plunger disengages and then re-engages when you turn the key as if a safety switch is tring to kill the engine. It runs like normal without the solenoid my question now is where are all the safety switches? The seat is easy.....

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #5  
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2305 Fuel Supply Diag.JPG
    2305 Fuel Supply Diag.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 15,257
   / John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #6  
Thanks Don I think your right. The solenoid unhooked from the injector pump the plunger disengages and then re-engages when you turn the key as if a safety switch is tring to kill the engine. It runs like normal without the solenoid my question now is where are all the safety switches? The seat is easy.....
Any luck in finding the problem?

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #7  
I seem to have the same problem with my 3 year old 2305. I really dont think you have a saftey switch problem because of the fact that it will turn over and start for about a second. When you have an implement turned on or not in neutrel etc, it wont even turn over. I am almost positive if you remove the solinoid but leave it hooked up, it will run perfectly. I am finding now that with mine, if you hold the key to start, it will run about 2 seconds longer. I think my problem is a key switch.

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #8  
Sounds like the A1 Pull In Timer or V 4 Diode is malfunctioning. See if this diagnostic procedure will help isolate the problem.

File.jpg

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #9  
Same exact problem with my 2007 J.D. 2305, however I called the John Deere Headquarters in Moline, Illinois and talked to one of their V.P.'s of marketing to try and fix this two year old intermittent problem once and for all.

I told him that I've been trading with J.D. for 50 years now would rather not switch to Kubota or Mahindra at this point. He told me, "We don't want you to do that", and told me to go out and shoot a video with my point & shoot camera of exactly what is happening, ie; the tractor turns over, runs for 2 seconds and then dies...

It has been doing this intermittently for two years now, however, this time appears to have died as it has been sitting out in the driveway now for the past 4 days and will not correct itself this time. So I sent him a one minute video showing that the PTO switch is in the 'off' position, the gear shift lever is in neutral, and that the brake is locked as it should be for starting the tractor.

ONE DAY LATER, I get a call from the John Deere Augusta, Georgia plant (where the 2305 and other compact tractors are made) where one of the trouble shooting experts who viewed my video was and kindly called me.

It turns out the problem here fella's has nothing to do with the safety switches, fuel pump solenoids, the fuel pump, the fuel pump solenoid shut off switch (didn't even know they had one of those), but instead, and I am quoting here from his email to me:

"After watching the YouTube video, I would suspect that the V4 diode is failing or there is a circuit issue with the V4 diode. - Please Refer to Technical Manual "TM2289" pages 144-148 for testing and resolution of the V4 Diode, and this should remedy the problem you are having with your J.D. Model 2305. - Kindly note that the dealership can open a case with their dealer technical assistance center for additional help here should that be necessary."

Hope this helps guys... Happy Fourth, 2013...!!!

/ John Deere 2305 Will not stay running #10  
Hi guys

I am haveing a very similar issue with my 2305 with Yanmar 3cyl diesel. Mine will bog down but not die completely (once in awhile it will die). Most of the time is sounds to me like it is running short of fuel and then missing on a cylinder for awhile. I have changed the fuel filter and blown out the fuel line to the filter and the return line from the injector pump to the tank. Anytime I remove a hose or the filter, fuel flows very nicely so things aren't clogged. I am doubting the solenoid issue because it does not die altogether. It will not do it if I just let it sit and run, only when I am mowing with it and I don't have to be working it hard either. Fuel is nice and clean, filter bowl fils nicely etc.
At $75.00/hour I don't like haveing the dealership sit and play with it just to learn that they replaced 4 things that did not fix the problem etc.

any ideas on this one