Seized engine? Need some advice.

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #21  
but the trans should be in forward gear to make the engins spin backwards

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #22  
This is getting interesting!! How cold is it there - could a bit of water get into anything and freeze. Had a bachhoe tranny freeze once. wouldn't take much.
Bob

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #23  
Trying to get an engine to turn over by pulling it when it is stuck asking for disaster. If something got into the cyl and you try pulling it you will bend a rod,break a piston of bust the head.
Bill

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #24  
If you think about it . The tractor was running fine untill your son moved the throttle. Could it be that something screwed up in the injection pump. I have never heard of a pump locking up an engine but that was the last thing that changed. Keep us posted and good luck.
Bill

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #25  
Pull the front cover off the engine and check the gears or timing chain

If you have already accessed lower end (oil pan) and have rod cap side play (Mains rarely sieze at low speed without effecting rods first[oil feed path]) then it is time to determine lower or upper engine problem (do not rotate more than a few degrees without timing gear alignment or sprocket). If still locked up at lower end replace timing marks you made before removal and start working back crank drives to ultimate point of split trans/engine at worst. Sorry I did not repost sooner (Holiday). When one of your babies are sick it seems like forever until you know what is wrong.
Good Luck my curiosity is peeked.
Gary
Do not forget you have a loose crank bolt to torque AFTER fix.;)

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #26  
When an engine is locked up, first thing is to check for end play, of the crank if you have end play that shaft is OK.
You have the oil pan off then I would like mentioned check for lateral movement of the rod caps on the crank. If the rod will not move sideways there is a problem there. Then put a bar on the crank bolt with a pipe and a weight on it to load the crank in one direction, then check for lateral movement of the rods. if one is tight then that cylinder is seized.
If it is not the crank then you should be able to rock it back and forth. If you can see the cam from the bottom check it for end play.
Tractors are not my specialty but they are all the same when it comes to diagnosis.
Removing the fan belt is always done if it is a noise problem and the starter for a seized problem. as well as the hydraulic pump, anything else you can remove as well.
Play safe!

/ Seized engine? Need some advice.
Double shift today....couldn't turn down the holiday overtime $$$ ( I might have something expensive and unexpected come up :laughing: ) so wasn't able to look at anything today. Excellent advice! Will probably be OT tomorrow too but will post as soon as I get a chance to post what I find.

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #28  
"...will post as soon as I get a chance to post what I find."

Thanks!

This is better than a good mystery novel!:thumbsup:

/ Seized engine? Need some advice. #29  
Double shift today....couldn't turn down the holiday overtime $$$ ( I might have something expensive and unexpected come up :laughing: ) so wasn't able to look at anything today. Excellent advice! Will probably be OT tomorrow too but will post as soon as I get a chance to post what I find.
Updates?

/ Seized engine? Need some advice.
Double shifts all week and worked the first day of my "weekend". Yesterday was spent playing catch up on other things but I got out in the garage today (don't have to be at work until 11pm) ...and....mystery solved! I checked the crank for end play and it was good. Checked rods for lateral play and #1 and #2 were fine, get to #3 and doesn't budge regardless of how I try. The piston was sitting right at TDC so I felt forced to pull the head. Got it off and with some persuasion was able to get the rod cap off then knock #3 piston up and out of the top and presto...crank spins free. You can see that there was a heat issue. I haven't seen 360* on the journal yet but I didn't see any gouging....just bluing from heat. Not sure why this end wasn't getting oil? I am surprised after seeing this as there is no question that this was the issue but wouldn't have thought that it could seize.....and remain seized without more signs of damage. What course of action is advised from here?

Attachments

• 2010 Christmas etc 022.jpg
    2010 Christmas etc 022.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 770
  • 2010 Christmas etc 023.jpg
    2010 Christmas etc 023.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 593