ford 8n will not fire

/ ford 8n will not fire #1  

catfishonly

Tractor
ford 8n
Hi all im new to tractorbynet form.I have a ford 8n front mount dist. i put new coil points and condenser and rotor button and cap on three times still no fire. I know i cant have 3 bad coils and points from different places could any of you help me and tell me what im doing wrong

/ ford 8n will not fire #2  
points should be set a .020 . make shure the points will open and close if they don't close no fire. also do you have good coil and plug wires? has this tractor ran lately?

/ ford 8n will not fire #3  
Hi all im new to tractorbynet form.I have a ford 8n front mount dist. i put new coil points and condenser and rotor button and cap on three times still no fire. I know i cant have 3 bad coils and points from different places could any of you help me and tell me what im doing wrong

Welcome to TBN! Lots of 8N owners (and former owners like me) here, so I'm sure you will get the help you need. You may want to use the search function to look for answers too. More details about what you have done and how the tractor was running prior to the no start would be helpful.

I'm assuming the battery is good and the engine will crank, but not fire. Also assume you pulled a plug wire and got no spark to the block while cranking. Perhaps I should have just asked how you know you didn't have spark.

The good news is that the 8N ignition is pretty simple. Make sure you have power to the coil and to the points. With the ignition on and the points closed, use a screwdriver to open the points. You should see a good spark.

If you have power to the distributor and the points are opening/closing (crank the engine with the cap removed) then it has to be bad plug/coil wires. Have you changed those?

/ ford 8n will not fire
I tested coil wire with test light and i tested points with test light i have power going to both of them and when points close like they do i have none.But when i take cap off to see if points are sparking i get no spark. and secondary of coil is good also just not getting spark at points. One other thing tractor was running good i done a restaration on it put every thing back together now haveing this problem.

/ ford 8n will not fire #5  
When the points close, the electricity goes to ground so the test light will go out- this is normal.

Can you get a spark from the coil wire when you open the points with a screw driver with the ignition switch on?

/ ford 8n will not fire #6  

Points should be set to 0.015". Make sure that ballast resistor has continuity and that copper strip is not grounded or broken.

/ ford 8n will not fire #7  
Simple oversight I have done is wire cap firing order rotation wrong because of thinking past the problem.
Gary

/ ford 8n will not fire #8  
catfishonly,

With the IGN on, and the HV coil wire close to ground, and points open, put screw driver into the points and remove, and you should see a spark.

When you ground the points, you complete the path for current to flow and high voltage builds up and when you remove the ground, the coil dumps the high voltage through the high voltage wire , or a plug if connected.

/ ford 8n will not fire
i get fire down to the points after a crank or two i lose spark and will not spark again every thing stays hot just no spark at pionts and points are gaped at 0.15 and like it is supposed to when points are grounded i have no power with test light and when points are open i have power to test light just no spark at points

/ ford 8n will not fire #10  
i get fire down to the points after a crank or two i lose spark and will not spark again every thing stays hot just no spark at pionts and points are gaped at 0.15 and like it is supposed to when points are grounded i have no power with test light and when points are open i have power to test light just no spark at points

Bypass the key switch. When you prove it is faulty, replace it.