Ford 861 Clutch Setup Tool

/ Ford 861 Clutch Setup Tool #1  

74superb

Tractor
ford 861, JD A, Ford Super Dexta, JD2755, JD4010, Case 580E
Hello all,

New guy to the board, but not new to tractors. Still got a lot to learn. I've got several different projects in various stages. I like old Ford and John Deere stuff. My current project is a major overhaul of the engine in my Ford 861. She was spitting fuel and sparks out the exhaust prior to tear down. Had injector pump rebuilt and injectors overhauled prior to tear down, but she still wouldn't start without ether on 80 degree day. Turned out to be broken rings in #4 cyl due to loss of lubrication from faulty injector. While I'm waiting on machine work to get done, I'm trying to fix all the other things. The biggest on the list is the clutch. The 2 stage clutch I have was installed less than 100 hours ago. Looks to be good. The problem I have with the clutch is that it catches right on the top. This was not the case until we tried to hog a kid in a 4wd truck out of the mud on afternoon. Clutch doesn't slip once engaged. Just catches right on top of pedal. Pilot bearing and throwout bearing appear to be good. Did notice some loose adjuster bolts on clutch spring tabs, but they are on the PTO side of clutch, not trans side. Am I missing the obvious here? Does anyone know if there is a clutch adjustment tool (a stamped, profiled piece of metal that you hold on clutch and adjust bolts that ride on throwout bearing?) JD has a similar type tool for their 4010's and 4020's. Outside of adjusting the height of the spring tab bolts for the trans and pto side on the clutch pressure plate housing, the only adjustment I see is the pedal fork outside of the bell housing. Thinking I tried lengthening and shortening this fork with no success in the past, but it has been a long time since I messed with it.