nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.(

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.( #1  

floodrod

I have a new 25HP kohler engine I installed in a backhoe, and it won't start.

I verified gasoline flows to carb input. And I verified spark on both plugs. This engine is brand new.

wHEN I crank it- sometimes I can get it to start to combust and even start to go for 1-2 seconds before it dies quickly.. I haven't got it to purr yet..

Battery pos. 4 Gauge goes from batt. terminal to Solenoid terminal. And ignition switch sends voltage to the ignition coil. When I turn the key it turns over freely and wants to start. Also White kill wire is installed to ign. switch.

The engine has an oil sentry device- which I am under the impression the green wire from the Sentry just connects to the kill switch.

I am definitely missing something I think.. Anyone have ideas? I will post pics as needed

thx

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.( #2  
Maybe the oil safety switch is killing the spark as soon as you stop cranking.

Spraying a little starting fluid in it will tell you if it not getting gas through the carb.

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.(
Maybe the oil safety switch is killing the spark as soon as you stop cranking.

Spraying a little starting fluid in it will tell you if it not getting gas through the carb.

How do I check the oil safety switch? This possibility fits the symptoms.

We did the gas and starter fluid in the carb trick, still dud's right out.

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.( #4  
Can you look up a wiring diagram anywhere on the web? I can't imagine the oil safety switch being bad on a brand new Kohler. Maybe that green wire goes somewhere else- does it have continuity with ground? Does it lose continuity with ground when the engine is cranking long enough to build oil pressure?

Can you look up a wiring diagram anywhere on the web? I can't imagine the oil safety switch being bad on a brand new Kohler. Maybe that green wire goes somewhere else- does it have continuity with ground? Does it lose continuity with ground when the engine is cranking long enough to build oil pressure?

Yea, I been looking at it for days. Here's the links and info:

Replacing Briggs and Stratton 18 HP with Kohler Command 25 HP

This is the wiring info for the NEW Kohler Engine. http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_06.pdf

This image below is the engine hookup it had with the old engine.
switch2.png

This Image is how the Kohler Command hooks up to the terramite.
switch1.png

(All this info in on this Terramite manual- http://terramite.com/Images/T5C Parts Manual.pdf )

Notice there is a different ignotion switch. I am using the OLD style one from the Old Motor. So I just hooked up so key turn cranks it over- and kill switch in off position.

It is quite possible I missed an important wire. I am not sure.

One more diagram. This one is how I have it wired now.
Sloppy paint job- but you can see how I wired it up.. It cranks over, sparks, and almost goes like this.

switch3.png

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.( #7  
I bet it is an issue with the switch wiring. I'd unhook the oil pressure kill switch and then I'd track down the ignition module power supply wire and make sure it gets 12 volts both in the start position and ALSO the run position of the ignition switch. It could be that you just have the ignition module supply wire hooked up to the wrong lug on the ignition switch.

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.( #8  
From what you posted, I understand that the engine is kicking and responding, but it will not continue the cycle. Is that correct?

If it is consistently bucking but will not run, I would bet its a timing problem. Are the pulg wires on the right plugs? The next thing I would check is the flywheel key. Maybe someone at the factory didn't tighten it to spec..

Oh, another thing. Does the engine have rubber mounts and does it have adequate chassis ground?

Now that I'm looking at it, it looks like the way I wired it - is not powering the carburetor.

From terminal B on the ignition, I put a new wire on a fuse directly to the solenoid. And I avoided the reds in the wiring harness. But now I see a red wire in the schematic that goes to the carb. So I am definitely not powering the carb...

Hmm.

/ nEW Kohler 25 HP Wont start.( #10  
I bet it is an issue with the switch wiring. I'd unhook the oil pressure kill switch and then I'd track down the ignition module power supply wire and make sure it gets 12 volts both in the start position and ALSO the run position of the ignition switch. It could be that you just have the ignition module supply wire hooked up to the wrong lug on the ignition switch.

Good advcie here too.