pto on ford 4000

/ pto on ford 4000 #1  

martin anthony

Tractor
ford 4000
my pto on my 1973 ford 4000 will not disengage would this be the clutch or brake or a fluid problem. any help please

/ pto on ford 4000 #2  
my pto on my 1973 ford 4000 will not disengage would this be the clutch or brake or a fluid problem. any help please

this will be a brake problem and you must split the tractor between the rear diff and trans. to reach the pto clutch and brake mech.

/ pto on ford 4000
thanks whosdat

/ pto on ford 4000 #4  

does it stay powered or freewheel.

with pto disengaged, and the stub spinning.. if you lay a board against it, will it stop? or if a mower is attached.. does it stay stationary, or spin under laod?

if it stops.. it's a brake issue.. and IMHO.. not a real issue unless you really want a pto brake... just keep it capped when not in use..

if it does not stop but stays spinning under power, then it is probably a clutch issue.. might be warped discs. or more rarely, a valve issue keeping hte wet pack engaged..

post back

soundguy

/ pto on ford 4000
it stays powered up. but it stops when i jam it with a pick shaft. thanks soundguy

/ pto on ford 4000 #6  
what you said makes no sense.

it's either POWERED or it is FREEWHEELING.

If it is freewheeling, you can jamb it up with something and stop it.

If it's powered, you got 48 horses standing on the pto.. I don't think you could jamb anything int here to stop it without twisting the pto shaft off, or stalling the tractor.

If it is freewheeling and HARD to stop.. but stopable under reasonable menas .. ( not 48hp stopping )..... there may be some warped clutch disc's leaving the pto semi-engaged.

/ pto on ford 4000
it stays running all the time. but it stops when i jam it with a pick shaft. thanks soundguy

/ pto on ford 4000
freewheeling i ment to say soundguy