8n charging

/ 8n charging #1  

Marks8n

Tractor
Ford 8n
Hello. I have a 48 ford 8n that I bought in the summer. I am going to use it mostly for snow removal. It has a 8V battery and the regulator has 9.2V written on the cover. I was told the genny was tweaked as well. I assume the brushes were adjusted. If its that type. Problem is it won't charge. Starts and runs fine but only shows 8.2v running and slowly goes down. Any tests for the volt regulator and the genny? I'm new to tractors and 6V / 8V positive ground. Thanks.

/ 8n charging #2  
Mark,

Have you polarized the generator? If not I would re-polarize the generator first then check the voltage directly on the generator, if it is higher your regulator is either bad, needs to be adjusted, or you have a bad connection. If it is not higher I suspect the generator is the culprit of your problem.

I am not sure how much voltage the oem generator will crank out but I would think it should charge a 8v batt ok.

Philip.

/ 8n charging
Thanks Philip. How do do I polarize the generator?

/ 8n charging #4  
Mark,

Take a scrap wire and put it on the generator armature post to the battery MOMENTARY! Don't hold it on there, just spark it. Hopefully this is your problem.

Check this out:

Polarizing Your Generator

/ 8n charging
Do I go to the battery negative or positive ? It is positive ground on my tractor.