Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter.

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have an older model(about 25 yrs. old) Case 448 with a 60 in. belly mower. Doesn't get a lot of use but very sturdy and reliable until yesterday. Starter would barely turn the motor over and finally got the clicking sound from the solenoid mounted under the cowl. I put an all night 2 amp. charge on the battery but that didn't help. I bought a new 350 cca lawn tractor battery, fully charged it, and all I can get is the clicking sound from the solenoid. I turned the flywheel some with a screw driver and it turned freely. I SUSPECT it's the starter but I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world. Looks like it is NOT a simple job to remove. I'm not really sure how you do get the starter off. Have any of you ever removed and replaced a starter for this particular model and motor? If so, I would sure appreciate any info. or helpful tips on how you go about getting the starter off. Also, my Case dealer priced a new replacement starter at $355.00 which really shocked me. It's a pretty small starter with a great big price! Do any of you know where I might find a better price for this starter? Any advice or help will be of great benefit to me as I need to be mowing! Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #2  
Phillipm . First, welcome to TBN !
See if you can locate a Small engine repair shop . They might be able to do the job for less than quoted . If you think you can remove and replace the starter yourself.. Try to get it to an auto starter repair shop . Just a few suggestions ... Hope it helped a bit . John

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #3  
If you fill in your bio perhaps someone near you can help you out.

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #4  
Just for grins, have you tried jumping around the battery contact nuts on the solenioid? Take a substantial solid core wire, 14 ga. minimum, and make contact from the battery side to the motor side. The clicking sound really sounds like lack of voltage (current, actually) to me. It could be low voltage coming from worn/dirty contacts in the starter switch, or, a weak or burnt out actuator coil in the solenoid itself. If the motor spins by jumping out the solenoid, you know its not the starter.

You can replace the starter switch faily cheap, and as far as the solenoid goes, if its not mounted to/in the starter itself, that can be had fairly cheap also. Hopefully, it will be something simple.

Doug

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter.
I agree with hfd 376. You have a cable corrosion problem or poor connection. Negative cables will corrode too under the plastic coating. Try regrounding with a jumper cable to test. Also try to bypass your cables competely with jumper cables
and another vehicle(your car or truck is twelve volts also).
I think you'll find your starter to be good.

Let us know

Thanks to all of you that have offered advice pertaining to my starter problem. I tried all of the suggestions, cleaned all terminals, cables, connections, jumped from my truck battery directly to the starter motor useing jumper cables, by-passed the existing wireing and I still get only the solenoid clicking sound. Went to the Case dealer and talked with a mechanic who was familiar with this model and he said it was probably the starter itself as they are prone to failure. Says it is a real pain-in-the-a-- to get the starter off as you have to take all the shroud, cover, etc. off to get to the starter. That's my next step to attempt as the 2 local small engine repair shops I contacted can't even look at it for about a month from now as this is their busy season. A starter rebuilding shop couldn't give me an exact price on what it would cost to rebuild until I get it off and he can see it but couldn't be as much as new one. Thanks again for all the helpful info.

You probably already tried this. Did you try to bypass the solenoid and go directly to starter? Sounds like you've been busy. I hope the rebuild doesn't cost too much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck,
Mainiak1

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #8  
Well, if you've tried putting battery voltage from your truck directly to the starter, and not using the solenoid at all, then I guess you have a starter problem.

Try doing a search for the Case 448. Don't forget to set the dates to all. I can't remember who, but there is a member of this board who has a couple of the case 448 tractors. He may be able to give you brand specific info.

Try the garden tractor forum also. That Onan engine was pretty common on the large (for the time) garden tractors, and were great engines.

Good luck,

Doug

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #9  
Paul Bradway (s1120) is a real Case/Ingersoll fan. If you see this, Paul, share some advice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Case 448, 18 hp Onan, needs new starter. #10  
Thanks Will, but my advice has pretty much been coverd. I would jump power right to the cable stud on the starter, and make sure the neg cable has a good ground on the motor. I do not know much about the Onin's, all of mine are Kohler powerd. Sorry