shim kit install going awry

/ shim kit install going awry #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
On this jd 750 I have, I am doubting I am about to put this shim kit in the right place. I say thins because when I took it apart, very little looks like the photo. There is no seal, no check ball, nothing was in the cap as described by some and this spring look larger than what's in the picture. There is another hydraulic bolt (shown in picture) above and to the right of the one I took off with what looks to be some kind of turn screw. Could it be that the 750 did not need shims but increased pressures with this screw? As I do not know what I m looking at, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P1182108.jpg
    P1182108.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 401
  • P1182110.jpg
    P1182110.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 375
   / shim kit install going awry #2  
On this jd 750 I have, I am doubting I am about to put this shim kit in the right place. I say thins because when I took it apart, very little looks like the photo. There is no seal, no check ball, nothing was in the cap as described by some and this spring look larger than what's in the picture. There is another hydraulic bolt (shown in picture) above and to the right of the one I took off with what looks to be some kind of turn screw. Could it be that the 750 did not need shims but increased pressures with this screw? As I do not know what I m looking at, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

What photo are you referring to?

/ shim kit install going awry
What photo are you referring to?

Sorry. The OEM photo did not come through. It is a blow up of the rock shaft cover that shows where the shims are. They are labeled with parts numbers. I saved it to my desk top but it will not show up in managed files. It is a diagram from Dowda John Deere under "rock shaft hydraulics"

/ shim kit install going awry #4  
Sorry. The OEM photo did not come through. It is a blow up of the rock shaft cover that shows where the shims are. They are labeled with parts numbers. I saved it to my desk top but it will not show up in managed files. It is a diagram from Dowda John Deere under "rock shaft hydraulics"

It's on you desktop?
Can you open it? If so, can you save as a ".jpg"?
Try copying it to MS Paint, then save it to your desk top. Save it as a ".jpg". A ".bmp" file may be to large to post to TBN.

Hopefully it will show now

Attachments

• 750Shims.jpg
    750Shims.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 308
   / shim kit install going awry #6  
The shims (on a 790, 770 and 3005) go under the cap where the relief valve is located. What the shims actually do is increase the system pressure by upping the valve relief pressure.
With that illustration you posted and the parts name (as identified by the numbers) should tell you where the relief valve is located.

As I wrote, the shimming I've done and others posted about, were for the 790, et al. I've never read of anyone upping the pressure on a 750. You're on your own as to this being a good thing to do.

I do not think you are off in your thought process. I am going by an assumption that the 750 and 770 were the same tractor but I do not know. There is that set screw in my picture that I do not know what it does. Trouble is that these tractors are so old now, no one or at least very few know their true ins and outs. It may be a good idea to put everything back as I found it. Thanks Roy.

Looked at the repair manual. Part of the problem of my parts not looking the same was that I lost two when I pulled the spring out. Took half the day looking for the "check ball". Found it lodged between the tire and one of the chain links I have on my rears. The other collar had fallen off and got caught between the hydraulic filter and the frame. Found it all, put the shims in the cap and buttoned it all back up. Received 5 shims in the pack and not the 4 most people talk about. Easy job if you don't lose parts.

/ shim kit install going awry #9  
What was your finished pressure?

What was your finished pressure?

2350. Which is probably why they included the 5th washer. I just did the 4 to be on the safe side.