Ford 2000 hydraulic lift

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #1  

Bobby R

Silver Member
Tractor
1972 Ford 2000
The lift on my Ford 2000 is not working properly. When the tractor is cold, it takes several seconds (about 20) for the lift to come all the way up. When it's hot, it works better, but still very slow and sluggish. Also it doesn't seem to lift as high as I think it should. Any ideas on what it could be?

It is a 3 cylinder gasoline engine. There is a leak at the hydraulic pump but I keep the level up by adding hydraulic fluid, however the lift still does not work like it's supposed to.

Last edited:
   / Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #2  
The lift on my Ford 2000 is not working properly. When the tractor is cold, it takes several seconds (about 20) for the lift to come all the way up. When it's hot, it works better, but still very slow and sluggish. Also it doesn't seem to lift as high as I think it should. Any ideas on what it could be?

which 2000 is it as 3cyl or 4cyl will need to know that before you can get any real help

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #3  
i agree.. 3 or 4 cyl.

if 4 cyl ( or 3 too ).. you need utf in the hyds sump.. not gear oil. on the 3 cyl, rear end and hyds are the same sump.. someone didn't put gear oil in there did they?

as for height.. likely an adjustment or cam / folower pin issue..

soundguy

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #4  
Mine is a little sluggish too on startup, when it's around 30 degrees, or colder, and it does have utf in it.

Maybe filter issues since it continues to be sluggish..?

Checked you hyd oil level.., since it may not be lifting high enough??

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #5  
no filter if a 4 cyl.

that's why we need to know a lil more info..

soundguy

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift
I posted more information in my first post, but it's a 3 cylinder gasoline engine. It does have a hydraulic leak at the pump, but I've added hydraulic fluid as it needs it to maintain the level. It still doesn't work properly.

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift
Where is the filter located, since it is not a 4 cylinder? Sounds like that could possibly be the problem.

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #8  
Filter(s) are in the rear end housing. You'll need to remove the lift cover to do that. It is heavy, so a shop crane, or something similar would be handy, rather necessary in my case.

I say filter(s), because there are 2. One on the suction line, one on the return. I've included an exploded view of the hyd. internals below. Left click on the picture, and it will enlarge.

#60 is the suction line filter( about middle left). It is a wire mesh type, and can be cleaned. Not necessary to replace unless it has a hole, rusted, etc.

Note the bolt through a tab, holding it in. There is also an o-ring on the end of the tube. Might want to spring for a new one of these. Use your own judgement. This is all one piece. Be careful with the in and out. A new one is right at $170.00..!!

#50 is the return side filter(towards bottom). Replaceable paper filter. Approx. $9.00 at the CNH dealer.

Probably need a new lift cover gasket too. Just have to use your judgement here too. About $7.00 at CNH dealer.

Attachments

• Ford 2000 hyd. filter location.gif
    Ford 2000 hyd. filter location.gif
    50 KB · Views: 19,788
   / Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #9  
I checked the I&T manual,and it calls for SAE EP 80 in the sump. Haven't checked my oem manual yet, as it's back in the shop.

Maybe that is the problem..??

/ Ford 2000 hydraulic lift #10  
3 cyl machines DO NOT use gear oil in the rear sump. They use a UTF meeting the M2C134 spec inthe rear sump since they share hyds in that sump... and yes.. that would very likely be the problem... the heavy oil will make the pump cavitate, wear, and self destruct eventually...

M2c41 was likely the original oil spec...

soundguy