Finding a Backhoe Bucket

/ Finding a Backhoe Bucket #1  

Ledge End

Tractor
Kubota B series
Hello, I just purchased a small backhoe, an EF4 (9000# operating weight, dipper force 3700# dig depth 11 feet), and it has a 12 inch bucket. I would like a wider bucket.
1) What dimensions are needed so that I can run down to my local bucket dealer and get the right one? :laughing:
2) Can other buckets be retrofitted to work and if so then what would be the criteria for choosing the new bucket?
3) Would I be better off finding a QA type setup and then get a bucket to match?
3a) Is there a QA setup which is so wildy popular that I will have a great choice of buckets - conversly is there a QA system that I should stay away from.

/ Finding a Backhoe Bucket
As I reread my post I realized that perhaps I should clarify some things...

I know that it would be good to know the pin diameter that my backhoe arm takes. However, If I got a bucket that was for different diameter pins could the holes be drilled out or bushings installed? Also if the spacing of the bucket "ears" is wider than the width of my backhoe arm is it ok to put in spacers?

How critical is the spacing between the top holes and the bottom holes in the bucket?

Any advice on bucket shopping would be welcome :confused2:

/ Finding a Backhoe Bucket #3  
Yes- you can use bushings and spacers if needed. I found/bought an extra narrow bucket for my Case 530 backhoe and I use bushings and spacers to make it work- in my case the ears are just about 1 inch too wide and the holes are 1/4" too large.

The distance between the top and bottom holes will affect the geometry of how far the bucket will open/close. Those holes should be really close to the stock bucket if you want it to still have the range of motion and power that you currently have.

/ Finding a Backhoe Bucket #4  
You can do all sorts of things to adapt buckets. not that hard to do. You need to watch the geometry to keep the digging force about the same and the amount of curl acceptable.

A machine shop will lighten your wallet a fair amount. Hardened bushings are 50 bucks or more a pop and you will need 4. Plus any jiggering around to make them fit.

Figure that in before you spring for a bucket. It may be worth it to get one that is for your machine.

Thanks for the replies...

Any comments on going the Quick Attach route?

/ Finding a Backhoe Bucket #6  
I have never heard of a quick attach backhoe bucket- it seems like a quick attach system wouldn't be as strong as traditional bucket pins and a backhoe bucket regularly gets a lot of force placed on it so it needs to be as strong as possible.

Eric, The Bobcat excavator site has a video of their quick attach system. I have seen others, however, I have no experience with any of them. I also wonder if there is one system which covers 80 pct of the market of qa buckets. My thought is that if I have to adapt something then why not the QA hookup (pay the shop time if necessary as noted above) and then just by the bucket / attachment as needed.

/ Finding a Backhoe Bucket #8  
I had a rental Bobcat backhoe (made by Earthforce) for a week some years ago. It was a smaller unit than yours and a HUGE disappointment (it was 2wd and didn't have enough hoe power to pull itself out, the rental place didn't have it long). But that is not up for discussion here. It had a quick attach and supposedly used the same buckets that Bobcat used on some if their mini excavators. It had two bolts on the back that had to be loosed (or removed, I can't remember) and then the bucket could be changed. This was different than the systems on the mini exs as they had a pin that slid in from the side, but it was supposed to allow for the same buckets to be used. Bobcat has since quit selling those backhoes, but that could be a place to start to find a quick attach. Then you could get Bobcat buckets and we know there is no shortage of those. Check with a Bobcat dealer and see if they can get you a quick attach for their obsolete models and it may fit. I also like the Bobcat buckets that I had used because they had bolt on tooth shanks that allowed me to remove them so I had a smooth edge for grading.

Brandon

I'm going to a "bucket farm" next week (supposedly a few acres of buckets) now that I have the pin / spacing dimensions.

bjepple, I'll ask about quick change and availability of Bobcat mini-ex buckets. Thanks.