Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    658
    Location
    South Carolina

    Default John Deere B Grain Drill

    Can a John Deere B Grain Drill seed/drill fescue without having a separate grass seeder box?
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    658
    Location
    South Carolina

    Default Re: John Deere B Grain Drill

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    Can a John Deere B Grain Drill seed/drill fescue without having a separate grass seeder box?
    Can someone move this to the attachement forum I oops'd.
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

  3. #3
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7,244
    Location
    Sacramento
    Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

    Default Re: John Deere B Grain Drill

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    Can a John Deere B Grain Drill seed/drill fescue without having a separate grass seeder box?
    Grass seed is pretty difficult to seed through the fertilizer box since the seed is so tiny. You can try to cover the input to the seed cups with some sort of cover with a hole or slit and see if it works. Of course, the fescue will be dropped in rows along the direction of travel instead of in a solid line side to side unless you rig up some type of seed chute to spread the seed in a line.

    I restored an old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers) a few years ago. Use it to plant oats.

    John Deere B Grain Drill-drill-3-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-drill-4-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-drill-5-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-drill-6-jpg

    I used the two JD grass seeder boxes that came with the drill to make a drop seeder that I use to seed the hayfield with cover crop (lana vetch-ryegrass mix).

    John Deere B Grain Drill-img_0901-small-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-img_0902-small-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-img_0903-small-jpg

    I welded up a frame to attach to the 3pt hitch on my 2008 Mahindra 5525. Added the grass boxes, drive wheels/chain/axles, and a pair of two-bounce seed chutes to spread the seed uniformly in a lateral line about 10-ft wide.

    Good luck

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    332
    Location
    Texas
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2135

    Default Re: John Deere B Grain Drill

    Flusher, nice job on both. How much did you spend on the drop seeder versus buying a 3 point spreader?

  5. #5
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    658
    Location
    South Carolina

    Default Re: John Deere B Grain Drill

    Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    Grass seed is pretty difficult to seed through the fertilizer box since the seed is so tiny. You can try to cover the input to the seed cups with some sort of cover with a hole or slit and see if it works. Of course, the fescue will be dropped in rows along the direction of travel instead of in a solid line side to side unless you rig up some type of seed chute to spread the seed in a line.

    I restored an old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers) a few years ago. Use it to plant oats.

    John Deere B Grain Drill-drill-3-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-drill-4-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-drill-5-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-drill-6-jpg

    I used the two JD grass seeder boxes that came with the drill to make a drop seeder that I use to seed the hayfield with cover crop (lana vetch-ryegrass mix).

    John Deere B Grain Drill-img_0901-small-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-img_0902-small-jpgJohn Deere B Grain Drill-img_0903-small-jpg

    I welded up a frame to attach to the 3pt hitch on my 2008 Mahindra 5525. Added the grass boxes, drive wheels/chain/axles, and a pair of two-bounce seed chutes to spread the seed uniformly in a lateral line about 10-ft wide.

    Good luck

    How are you getting good ground to seed contact? Are you dragging after spreading the seed?

    I always thought there was a seperate box for fertilizer.

    My understanding is a drill will have a seed box, a fertilizer box and a seperate grass seed box (and maybe even a 4th box for small seeds ie clover).
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

  6. #6
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7,244
    Location
    Sacramento
    Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

    Default Re: John Deere B Grain Drill

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    How are you getting good ground to seed contact? Are you dragging after spreading the seed?

    I always thought there was a seperate box for fertilizer.

    My understanding is a drill will have a seed box, a fertilizer box and a seperate grass seed box (and maybe even a 4th box for small seeds ie clover).
    Use a 10 ft wide cultipacker to press the seed into the soil.

    My old 10 ft wide Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drill has two large boxes (5 ft wide) for fertilizer, large size seed or a mix of both and two small 5 ft wide grass seed boxes. Modern grain drills come with more boxes and a more advanced design for spreading seed and fertilizer.

  7. #7
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7,244
    Location
    Sacramento
    Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

    Default Re: John Deere B Grain Drill

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauk View Post
    Flusher, nice job on both. How much did you spend on the drop seeder versus buying a 3 point spreader?
    I have about $300 in parts for that drop seeder.

Similar Threads

  1. John Deere Van Brunt grain drill questions
    By Missouri Pioneer in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
  2. CL Scam?????
    By Kubota 2350 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 07:55 PM
  3. Kubota B3030HSDCC cab or John Deere 3720 cab? Please help!
    By FRIZ in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
  4. John deer grain drill
    By jaroban in forum General Vintage Tractors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.